New DUI Drysuit Gets Wet Inside

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can have a leak that is persistent but difficult to find. I have one in my Mobby's suit. It's somewhere in the crotch seam area. Two different shops have had the suit for repair, and have done various things that seem to work for a while, and then fail. I have done the light search for holes. I have filled the suit with water (nobody who has not done that can know what a PITA it is). I can't find the leak, and neither can anybody else. One leak that WAS fixed appears to have been in a seam, in such a place that the seam had to be flexed just right to leak, and I suspect the current leak is also that kind of problem.

It's not condensation. It's salt water. I've even TASTED it to be sure!

Drysuits can be maddening.

Sigh..

One day, I am going to drive up to your place fix that darned drysuit of yours.

You were supposed to remind me to send some glue with Kevin.

Thanks guys - just got back from Monterey (54 degrees) less than one hour ago and was happy to see all the responses. So here's the scoop and answers to some of your questions:

1. After today, my dry suit was completely wet inside, too much to be condensation, but my new DUI undergarment (Polartech Superstretch 300 w/matching socks) is so nice I could not tell I was until I got back to the parking lot and got down to my bathing suit. Bathing suit was too wet also to be condensation. My jeans got wet after I put them on over the bathing suit. I was still toasty warm during both dives!! God - that DUI undergarment is fantastic! You would have to thoroughly soak it before it would feel wet. I can see how you might think it was condensation, but those high-level undergarments really resist moisture. Once I dried out and felt the undergarment to my face, then I could feel the moisture. Man, it is pricey, but so-ooo worth it.

2. When I tested for just 2 minutes the other day in the pool, you could see the line of wet fabric as opposed to the dry fabric right around the waist band on the inside. It looked like it was seeping in under the glue. I actually marked it with a sewing fabric pen for the LDS. I'm glad you guys were asking about condensation, because the demarkation line between wet and dry areas after just 2 minutes is clear - it is not condensation. When I tested it in my pool, water was 66 degrees. In the LDS pool, water was 92 degrees. I used light long underwear for both tests. The leaks are so slow, I could not feel the water coming in either time, even in the light undergarment. However, after two full dives today, the inside of the suit is completely wet and somewhat dripping, but not flooded.

3. LDS tested by blowing it up and using soap to look for bubbles.

4. LDS told me that DUI did pressure test the suit before sending it back and gave it the OK.

5. Could not have anything to do with the hose - only tested up to the waist and had leakage.

6. Majority of moisture is on the outside of the undergarment; however, after 2 dives today, it soaked by bathing suit. But that undergarment is so water resistent, my bathing suit wicked-up the moisture from the undergarment.

7. I also thought mine was leaking in the crotch area after a 5 minute test above the waist, but a 2 minute test (after drying) just to the waist revealed leaking around the waist. Apparently, it was dripping down the leg during the first test.

Hopefully, if I can give a very good description of the problem, DUI can find the problem. I think if you feel you are having problems with a leaky dry suit, the best thing to do are short tests in the water. First, eliminate wrist, neck seals and valves as the potential source of the problem by keeping them dry. Short tests will at least give you an idea of the general area where the problem is originating from because you should be able to see a clear line of delineation between wet and dry as you can in my situation.

Thanks all - I will let you know how it goes.

Karen

4. LDS told me that DUI did pressure test the suit before sending it back and gave it the OK.

This thread kind of scares me with statements like these. I just found a first leak in my DUI suit, and just like you it took quite a while to figure out where exactly it was.

For you more experienced with this, if drysuit companies fail to detect these sneaky leaks, what is the best way to send the suit in? With long explanation and post-it notes?? I now have a feeling my leak will possibly fail to show up in tests too. It took a long while and several repeats in total Michelin state to get the leak to show. Will the company pressure test be a stress to the suit, and if one found the leak, should one ask them to by-pass the test? Do you usually fix these types of problems in your local shops, not at the factory yourselves (and not lose warranty)?

I thought my problem was the exhaust valve because I kept getting my left upper arm wet, then on longer dive I soaked whole left side, and had to widen the search area. Finally spotted tiny soap bubbles on the zipper seam on the shoulder. When I look inside there is a little bit of a suspect area where the glue is off-set from the zipper strip. In an hour dive this minute leak will soak me good, and in 55F water it’s starting to bug me big time.

This thread kind of scares me with statements like these. I just found a first leak in my DUI suit, and just like you it took quite a while to figure out where exactly it was.

For you more experienced with this, if drysuit companies fail to detect these sneaky leaks, what is the best way to send the suit in? With long explanation and post-it notes?? I now have a feeling my leak will possibly fail to show up in tests too. It took a long while and several repeats in total Michelin state to get the leak to show. Will the company pressure test be a stress to the suit, and if one found the leak, should one ask them to by-pass the test? Do you usually fix these types of problems in your local shops, not at the factory yourselves (and not lose warranty)?

I thought my problem was the exhaust valve because I kept getting my left upper arm wet, then on longer dive I soaked whole left side, and had to widen the search area. Finally spotted tiny soap bubbles on the zipper seam on the shoulder. When I look inside there is a little bit of a suspect area where the glue is off-set from the zipper strip. In an hour dive this minute leak will soak me good, and in 55F water it’s starting to bug me big time.

You may want to contact DUI about it. They are for the most part decent on the phone. I would fix the suspect spot with a few dabs of Aquaseal and go diving.

My first DUI suit had a leaking exhaust valve (a huge design flaw that was a major issue) and the suit leaked badly at the exhaust valve and still passed pressure testing at DUI so go figure. I find DUI pressure testing to be highly suspect especially since DUI knew about the design flaw and still sold the leaking exhaust valves and insisted they didn't leak before I purchased the suit. Finally, they replaced the leaky exhaust valve with a re-designed redesigned re-designed (lol) version and it has been dry ever since. Those leaks can be a real pain to find and or prove especially for a new dry suit diver. It will be assumed to be diver error or condensation and you will be looked at as if you are complaining especially if that pressure test passes. Good luck!

OK - just finally talked to a supervisor at DUI. I sent the suit back through my LDS, but got the contact information so I could talk directly to repair at DUI. At first I was getting the same response I expected, they pressure-checked the suit and could not find any leaks. I talked them into putting someone in the suit and put them into a pool for just 2 minutes, not exposing the wrists or neck. They did it and they admitted, the suit leaks. They also said that even though they could not find a leak through pressure testing (test that would show bubbles), it appears that the problem is because the material is breaking down and is absorbing water. The water is seeping into the material at the glued seam at the waist-line. They said they could re-glue the seam, but the problem would start happening again somewhere else because of the material is breaking down. So, this is the first I've ever heard of this, but I've had to be very persistent to get this answer. DUI is sending me a new suit. It is still a TLS-350, but a newer model.

Has anyone ever heard of this before with this kind of suit (trilaminate)? If so, how many years can I expect a suit like this to last before this kind of "material breakdown" begins to occur? I bought this suit new off the rack, but I got it at a discount because it had been on the rack for a long time (but I don't know how long, could have been years).

Karen

I am glad they finally listened. Things happen BUT your new suit should be expected to last for 7+ years or longer before you should have to fix or replace anything major besides the seals anyway. Maybe a pin hole or two along the way. Good luck with this one and I am glad it was resolved.

Dry Until Submerged...DUI...just joking of course. Dry suits are great sometimes but I PERSONALLY find it a fallacy that all dry suits keep one SIGNIFICANTLY warmer and completely dry. For me, dry suit diving pans out the most when I get out of the water and it's 40 degrees outside and the wind is blowing...except for the whole peeing thing...but get a pee valve...but it leaks....it never ends with dry suits. Dry suit diving is a lesson in compromise...an expensive one that may or may not be worth it depending on WHERE you are diving. JMHO's.

I've been diving dry over 14 years and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of significant leaks I have suffered. A material fault resulting in delamination is rare, that's a big part of why it was so tough to figure out. Now that they've replaced it, you should have years of comfy diving ahead k girl.

I've heard stories about delamination in Mobby's suits as a cause of persistent or recurrent leaks. I've suspected that might be part of the problem with mine.

Has anyone ever heard of this before with this kind of suit (trilaminate)? If so, how many years can I expect a suit like this to last before this kind of "material breakdown" begins to occur? I bought this suit new off the rack, but I got it at a discount because it had been on the rack for a long time (but I don't know how long, could have been years).

Karen

I don't know about material breakdown, but I've heard of issues with DUI seams for as long as I've known about DUI. That's why I went in a different direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom