New DSS rig worked great

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got back from a trip to Curacao where I used my new DSS rig. The rig worked great and I was definitely singing its praises. Enough that my wife is now considering getting one. With a rash guard I did not need any weight since the rig (with SS backplate) was enough to get me down and keep me there even with the tank at 500psi.

I have one question though, occasionally the rubber "bolts" on the wing would come off the backplate. It would occur on the walk back to my room as I was carrying it by the should straps, after I dunked the rig into the rinse tank, or while changing tanks on a boat. The cam bands hold it on the rig so it is not like I was going to lose it but I was wondering if this was normal.

It happens. The flip side of making it easy to take apart to clean is that it isn't hard to get it to come apart. But it's not hard to put back together, either.

Here you go:

DSS Video

Watch this and see how to hold the wing and harness at the same time and minimise this happening!

It happens. The flip side of making it easy to take apart to clean is that it isn't hard to get it to come apart. But it's not hard to put back together, either.

I was just wondering and you are right it is easy to pop that "bolt" back in. :)

Here you go:

DSS Video

Watch this and see how to hold the wing and harness at the same time and minimise this happening!

Ah, I see. A little bit annoying to have to hold the wing along with the strap. But it is an extremely minor annoyance.

I just got back from a trip to Curacao where I used my new DSS rig. The rig worked great and I was definitely singing its praises. Enough that my wife is now considering getting one. With a rash guard I did not need any weight since the rig (with SS backplate) was enough to get me down and keep me there even with the tank at 500psi.

I have one question though, occasionally the rubber "bolts" on the wing would come off the backplate. It would occur on the walk back to my room as I was carrying it by the should straps, after I dunked the rig into the rinse tank, or while changing tanks on a boat. The cam bands hold it on the rig so it is not like I was going to lose it but I was wondering if this was normal.

Rick,

Thanks for the kind words. I pleased to hear the gear worked for you. Curacao, very cool, I'm envious.

You been getting good advice already, I'll only add that the little rubber locators are just that locators, they are not intended to attach the wing to the plate.

One of the key features of the DSS system is the ease with which the wing can be removed from the plate. The leading cause of wing damage is dropping the plate edge wise o the wing. This can cause a slice or pinch flat in the inner bladder, much like what happens if you ride a bike into a curb, the "snake bite" in the inner tube is caused by the tire and the rim pinching the tube.

By removing the wing from the plate for transport, cleaning and storage the risk of wing damage is greatly reduced.

Tobin

I had that issue also, the rubber bolts(locators) coming apart. I did not like that at all so that was my first and so far only modification to my dss rig. I use ss bolts now. Much better.
I love my dss for my warm water dives, it is stored on Cozumel at Scuba Repair Cozumel. I got to it for about 130 dives so far, it's great. kev

Shooting yourself in the foot there.

The biggest plus IMO of a DSS rig IS the fact that it CAN be broken down with ease.

I think the rubber locator bolts are a super slick idea.

By removing the wing from the plate for transport, cleaning and storage the risk of wing damage is greatly reduced.

Tobin

That's what my wife does with hers and it's nice not needing to man handle the whole rig while flushing the bladder. After a barrel soak they mate up and are ready to go again.

Maybe firstdive2005 still has a rig that is easier to take apart than a non-DSS wing. If the bolts only go through the wing (where the locaters normally go), then you would still be able to (fairly) easily take the wing off the rig. What I mean is, you would not have to thread or unthread the cam straps, which seems like the real hassle (not that I know, since I have a DSS rig and don't do that :) ).

If the fasteners are used in place of the locaters, and if they are fitted with some kind of easy-disconnect nuts, then I could see it being a decent set-up IF the easily removed locaters are a bother for that person.

I like the rubber locaters, and LOVE that the wing comes off so easily. Very nice feature!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom