New Dry Suits ordered today !

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BillNH

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey gang,

Iv'e been a lurker here for a while and an occasional poster, but regardless have found an enormous amount of information and help from ScubaBoard members. Thanks !

Today was exciting for me....I ordered new drysuits for my wife and I, both Bare D6 Pro's. These are our first drysuits ever and I think will make a great entry level suit for to get experience with.

I have a couple of questions for anyone else diving a D6 Pro.

1st- what are poeple wearing for undergarments with this suit(we are in NH, diving off the coast of Northern NE mostly)? We did not buy any undergarments to go with these suits. We have lots of fleece and long underwear hanging around for winter activities.

2nd- Did owners of the D6 Pro need to get bigger fins or were you able to use your same fins you use for warmer water ? I use Aqualung Blades II and hope I don't to buy new fins. BTW the suit I ordered has the built in boot.

3rd- what do poeple wear up here for gloves? I know there many options but can't swing the price of dry gloves right now.

Thanks for the help

Bill

I've got a buddy who dives a similar drysuit and he wears a 100 gr fleese undergarment. The thickness of the neoprene offsets how much you need from your undergarment. I believe if I was you I'd try on what I have now and see how it works out, you should be fine.

As to the fins, unless your current fins are sloppy in the fit or already an extra large you probably will need to replace them. It all depends on what size you have right now and you didn't say, but I'd bet on new fins.

Can't say about gloves, I use dry gloves and all my buddies use dry gloves as well. I'd say you need thick gloves if it's going to be comfortable, but can't suggest what.

I know the feeling...I have a new drysuit going to be ordered today...I'm gonna go get fitted for it in a few hours.

I wear DUI's DRY5 gloves...I would make sure they are compatible with your suits first though. They are about a 100 a pair....and are awesome.

I can't be much help since I'm in a neoprene DS.

I will sugest seeing Paul at PG Dive, he'll give the guys out west a run for their money and can advise per local conditions.

Im using my 5mm Bare Gauntlet gloves and have not ended a dry dive with cold fingers yet. Granted I only have 9 dry dives and it's been a mild winter. The gauntlet allows very little flow. I also have neoprene seals so my wrists are well protected from the cold. Think limb potection, not just hand, the heat needs to reach the hand to keep it warm.

Pete

I have a D-6 Neoprene is that yours? I am not sure about the pro thing,
With a dry suit most and a neoprene if thats what you have get a set of XL scubapro fins or turtles as they have some weight can be had used off e-bay less than $40 or new from LDS $70-99, they have the weight, you may get a set of ankle weights too if you find your feet going up, keep your tank low too,
The great thing on neoprene suit and this is why the trilam and shell suit dudes knock them so bad is no need for any special underwear! Do a trip nows the time to Walllmart,ski or farm stores and pick up On SALE Only! Poly Prop,or technical fabrics the kind Lycra mix,long underwear tops and bottoms and tec fabric socks to make sure you fill boots and feet stay warm! they come in grades of warmth, NO COTTON-NONE,NO,NONE! This stuff dose not
wick the water away and cools you off fast.
In cold water 30ish I use a lycra/spandex top and bottom with a layer of thicker on top and as it warms I use less and less layers, and the stuff is so cheap! But when you wash it use powder soap no liquid as this can be hard on the materials.
Dry gloves & a drysuit hood are a must if you have a dry suit, I make my own with a dry suit wrist seal and rubber type glove,do a search or go to the DIY section on the site and then see build your own equipment a guy has a post on dry suit homemade ring system and gloves if your not handy you can buy them too,
Enjoy your suit! it is a warm unit and has many pluss sides and I like mine as it is a work horse and I am NEVER COLD NEVER!,and its hard to poke holes in and easy to fix if you do,
Dive safe,
Brad

moneysavr:
The great thing on neoprene suit and this is why the trilam and shell suit dudes knock them so bad is no need for any special underwear! Do a trip

I've never knocked them, nor have my buddies. I dive a Viking, they dive a mix of DUI, Bare, Viking, and Poseidon. So we have the range of crushed Neoprene, regular neoprene, trilam, and shell. Each has benefits, and no one suit seems to offer it all. Cheaper undergarments for example to the neoprene users, easier repairs to the trilams and shells, better buoyancy for the shells, a bit tougher for the neoprene suits. It's one of those things that nobody offers a suit that has it all. Shells without proper undergarments are without a doubt colder.

moneysavr:
Dry gloves & a drysuit hood are a must if you have a dry suit, I make my own with a dry suit wrist seal and rubber type glove,do a search or go to the DIY section on the Brad

My lds today said something very close to this, and I'll say it here because you alluded to it. A drysuit is supposed to be dry, I don't know why anybody would buy a drysuit and not have dry gloves and hood. Why would somebody choose to be wet and cold when they have a drysuit? You can guess I'm of the camp that says buy the dryglove and a liner, you'll be happier in the long run.

DUI's DRY5 gloves can be worn with neoprene drysuits. I have a seasoft ds and right where my wrist seal folds under, my latex seal from my glove starts. There is a tiny gap of skin exposed but not noticeable.

BillNH,

I didn't realize the D6 was a full neoprene suit.I'm diving a similar Atlan 7mm. Polypro Unerwear and the Bare T-100 has been a nice combination this winter for diving not far from you in southern Maine.

Pete

Spectrum, The D6 is a 6mm neoprene, very similar to the Atlan (A100 ?) which is 7mm. I looked at that suit as well. My LDS told me that in the summer in the lake he would wear nothing but a t-shirt and bathing suit under a 6mm drysuit. In colder water he would wear polypro base then start layering on top.

I may start looking for a Bare T-100 or similar for colder water. BTW what do you wear for gloves ?

Yo Bill,

I have dry claw mitts I got from Jay at Portsmouth scuba. They are neo with an elastic around the cuff. Very nice, very warm...your wife would like them if she gets cold hands. These ar 7.5

Also have some 5 gloves which I'd be cold in now. Those I'll pull out in May probably when the temp gets around 50.

under my crushed neo I wear:

polypro longjohn & fleece pants
2 pairs heavy socks
2 polppro t shirts, long sleeve polp shirt, fleece shirt, and nice patagonia fsynthetic fill 'sweater'

This has taken me to 36 degrees and I am fine.

Oh and a 7.5 hood

You may need to get new fins. Mine fit but I was wearing them with boots when diving wet. I hope you don't.

Back
Top Bottom