New DM Considering Career Change from Corporate World

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jlevine

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this...so here goes! I completed my PADI DM approximately one year ago. Now, the diving bug is biting a bit more. I am thinking about whether diving should have a greater role in my life, perhaps in either a part time or full time scenario. I am looking for a place where I could perhaps work on a trial basis in early 2006 to learn more about the dive industry and hopefully determine whether to pursue becoming an instructor. I've been in the corporate world for a long time but feel I need to try this. I appreciate any info any of you have. I am a US citizen. I am primarily looking in Florida, the Caribbean, or Hawaii. Feel free to PM me or e-mail me (Jeffrey_Levine@jhu.edu) if you have any questions or insight.

Thanks!

jsl

jlevine:
Hello,

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this...so here goes! I completed my PADI DM approximately one year ago. Now, the diving bug is biting a bit more. I am thinking about whether diving should have a greater role in my life, perhaps in either a part time or full time scenario. I am looking for a place where I could perhaps work on a trial basis in early 2006 to learn more about the dive industry and hopefully determine whether to pursue becoming an instructor. I've been in the corporate world for a long time but feel I need to try this. I appreciate any info any of you have. I am a US citizen. I am primarily looking in Florida, the Caribbean, or Hawaii. Feel free to PM me or e-mail me (Jeffrey_Levine@jhu.edu) if you have any questions or insight.

Thanks!

jsl
I just left a $140k per year job to be a scuba instructor. Couple of things you need to know - first, being an instructor (at least for me) is essentially a means to support my habit - it's not something you are going to get rich doing. Between equipment, insurance (my insurance to be a scuba instructor was three times as much as it was to be a healthcare practitioner, believe it or not!!), fees that make your certifying agency rich, there's not a whole lot left for you. An average instructor working full time will only earn between $12k and $20k per year.

Bottom line - you've gotta do it because you love it - and have a VERY supportive spouse......

Bottom line - you've gotta do it because you love it - and have a VERY supportive spouse......

Or one with a nice 401K balance!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom