new divers in florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ivansie

Reaction score
Well, let me introduce myself to the forum since I think I will be visiting more often now, just got OW certified, me and my wife together here in Miami/Ft Lauderdale after we took a Resort course in Key West we decided that we have found a hobby for both of us to enjoy together since mine (soccer, football,golf and RC airplanes) and hers (the mall, aerobics) were not bringing us close together lets say.

I have been using the forum a lot for information on equipment and dive shops, online shops, etc ( I am a very "online oriented" person always looking for a good deal) since I do a lot of research before spending significant money.

We ran our numbers and saw right away that if we dive a conservative 1 weekend a month and here in FL that is feasible!!!!! it will not make any sense to rent gear @ 80/each so we decided to take the plunge right away and got each a setup equipment that I will describe so I can hear opinions (both are welcome and appreciated, good or bad but if they have a point!!!!!)

I went back and forth with different setups, brick and mortar merchants, LDS and online authorized/non-authorized outlets and finally believe or not got the best deal after a very interesting negotiation from a local store (DD) although the story is very funny about how they work but that will be another post.... The guys that got my business really worked with me on the price and delivery and that was a plus where other unfortunately did not excel

My wife got
Oceanic Isla QLR Bioflex BCD
Mares MR12 Proton regulator
Mares MR12 Proton Octo
Aeris 2 gauge console

I got
Oceanic Probe QLR Bioflex BCD
Air XS octo inflator
Mares MR12 Proton regulator
Aeris 2 gauge console
... and I am planning on getting a computer very soon probably a Suunto mosquito since I also need a watch...... good excuse.....

We had tried some Aqualung, Scubapro and Seaquest stuff in regulators and BCDs but liked the Oceanic a lot more for the price and the weight release system...

welcome to the board! Don't forget to check out the "Florida Conch Divers" section under the groups. Naturally, we can't count so our message number seems low, but we are first in the nation... :tease: See ya 'round the boards!

Congrats guys,
A great way to start and continue diving, is to purchase your own gear, it always works out cheaper in the long run.

The equipment you have purchased is a very good choice, and will last you for many years and many thousands of dives.

Best of luck with your diving, I would get computers as soon as you can afford them. They are a great assett in recreational diving and will give you heaps more bottom time. But always plan on your tables as a backup.

Well done in supporting your LDS, you will always get great service from them after a purchase like that !!

Netdoc and Sydney, thanks for your welcoming and opinion. To be honest with you I am very price oriented, although did not want to buy cheap stuff moreover if my life and my wife's depends on it, but the store really worked out with me mostly when they understood that I had done my research, knew what I was talking about and no small BS was going to make me settle for less.

I hope that from now on with can share our experiences and stories with all of you

I will check the Conch divers section, thanks for the pointer and I am working hard on getting that computer!!!!!!!!

:D

Well, I am a penny-pincher myself. The amount of $ spent on gear does not always translate to the "best." What to shoot for is what is best for YOU (fit, function, durability, comfort)/ You will know how well this set-up serves you in particular once you have taken it in the water a few times. And here is where dealing with an LDS will really pay off: invariably, we choose something that made sense in the shop, but does not help much in the ocean. Many shops give you trade-in value for used gear. YOu get to trade up.

Frankly, I bought "top of the line" stuff early on & had a rough time working with all its quirks. I have very simple & cheap stuff now & am diving much better. Have fun!:D

Welcome to the board.

Isn't it great living down here? Comfortable diving year round, and lots of choices on where and what to dive. I'm sure the both of you will have fun.

And hanging around here you'll see there's lots of opinions which no one will be shy sharing with you. :wink:. But remember, you have to choose the gear and dive in a way that's comfortable and the best for you.

See ya!

Marc

Yeah I know Marc, SoFla is great not only for diving...=-)

Anyhow, thanks for the welcoming and I expect to be around the board from now on.

I had tried some of the gear I am getting so comfort was in my mind before making the decision, some we couldnt because of availability but "on land" testing was performed to the best of what was possible.

regards,
:confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom