New Divers, Hamilton

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayne

Reaction score
My 15 yr.old son and I are new divers.
He got certified last year in Toby. I just got certified in Cozumel.
While in Coz my son got his bouyancy to a fine art.
He has 15 dives to my 5.
Thinking about buying a year old rentall equip. Trying to live in a budget.
Is this a good or bad idea?

Go for it! If you make an investment in the sport you are much more likely to continue diving! :)

Welcome Wayne!

If you're looking for equipment, new or used, check out Bob's Scuba on Kenilworth. Great service and prices.

Welcome to the board Wayne.

If the rental equipment has been maintained and serviced then it should be good for years:)

Hi Wayne, and welcome.

My experience with rental gear is that it is usually more strictly maintained than privately owned gear. Also, if it was going to fail in any way from manufacture defects, it would have by now. I was always afraid of buying used stuff, but if you know the group you are buying from, they will usually stand behind the sale.
Good Luck!!! Enjoy the crayfish

:D

Hi Wayne and son: enjoy the sport... my wife bought second-hand gear when she started and had very good luck with it. Hope you get to sample some of the great diving we have in the Great Lakes

DD

You wont hear me preaching for large spendings upfront. Just make sure that you are buying a safe, serviced equipment that suits your diving requirements.

Next step, if you decide to continue diving, will probably involve some more investment.

Welcome to the sport and to the board.

Ari :)

How much are they discounting the price? It may be a good deal if it was maintained and the price is right.
Good luck :)

Glad you and your son found this sport!

You'll find a lot of great information on this board about gear. Whether it is new or used, focus on buying quality gear. Used is also good for those still growing up rather than out!:D

Did the two of you join up with HADA? It is a good club.

Check out this new store in Hamilton:

www.recandtekscuba.com

Rec & Tek SCUBA Inc.
413 Concession Street,
Hamilton, Ontario
L9A 1B8
905-385-0300
================================
*Summer Hours: June 1st-August 31st*
Monday-Friday 1:00pm-9:00pm
Saturday 10:00am-5:00pm
Sunday CLOSED