New Divers, First Time to Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There may be pros or little downside to booking in advance in some circumstances - a preferred outfit or destination with limited schedule during your stay, you have limited scheduling flexibility, and/or you're agnostic about where you are taken. Ask about the cancellation policy - dive conditions or personal plans can create a conflict there as the dive date approaches. My limited experience suggests there is sufficient capacity here to allow you to book just a day or two beforehand for the typical dive. Maybe others will post if there are seasonal or other limitations to that approach.

Early June is pretty slow; not many visitors. Making a reservation gives the operator something to "build" a charter around. Even so, operators do not always get the required minimum number of customers to pay fuel and crew, so sometimes there are cancelations.

Coming from land masses East of us, your internal clock wakes you up early the first few days; schedule some diving early in your stay and remain flexible with your remaining days so you can roll with the punches and get enough dives in by the end.

Nearly the same argument for weather and waves; schedule some early trip diving and remain flexible. Some days might be better to not dive, but you rarely know until a couple days before at the most.

Just sayin'...

I think a .5 mm suit would be too thin. Maybe you could wear it under a wetsuit but I bet you'll get chilly if that's all you took. I supply 3/2mm full suits on all my tours, there's no extra charge, they are pretty much required gear if you ask me. I dive a (thin feeling) 3/2 myself. Dove it all season. If I wore a 7mm I'd probably be diving over 20lbs of lead! No thank you, not when you have to walk on the beach and climb rocks and suff. I get a little chilly somedays but over all 3mm or 3/2mm seems to work fine for most people. Summer is nice too, water will be around 79-80 degrees maybe!

When are we going??!!! Yay! I love diving!

Doug, we will be there June 6th through the 13th. I think we will try to hook up with you on Monday the 7th. Take us to your best spots please!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom