New Diver's Bonaire Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We learnt to dive in the keys and did several visits and dives in Key West, the diving was ok although the viz was not as good as Key Largo. We did see some Goliath Grouper though. The bars are great fun.

We used the ferry from Curacao to Bonaire a few years back. There was also a whole load of locals on board doing a special trip wearing Chogogo (the name of the ferry) Tee Shirts and caps. As we got out of the harbour they were cheering as the waves sprayed the top deck, 20 minutes later they were quiet a few minutes later most of them were hugging buckets. The ferry took just over 3 hours to cross to Bonaire as it had to go at slow speed into the waves. The problem was the twin hulled boat was too short and fitted between the wave crests. It was frequenty damaged by the pounding it took. One week later on the way back to Curacao we had a wind reversal and mirror flat seas all the way. I believe the ferry was taken out of service and disapeared ie stolen.

Ah, to be young again. It brings a :( to my eye to think of skiing all day and partying all night.
Bro, do the Cozumel thing. The island has a great party life. There are young guys in my club who only show up for Cozumel. We've been all over the planet but these guys only dive Cozumel. Usually on a Sat. to Sat. trip, they fail by Wed. and miss the boat. Diving, then sun and beer, then dancing, partying and beer, hooting with the night owls until the wee hours is not conducive to soaring with the eagle rays in the A.M. Sometimes they make it to the boat looking like something the cat coughed up and are banished to snorkel diving (top of the reef only) and abuse from us old, married guys, who can only wish.
The other good thing about Cozumel is drift diving. Very little work involved.

The thing to remember is DRINK A LOT OF WATER.

Enjoy

I think I'm going on the trip to the keys. Based on what everyone has mentioned here, it sounds like Bonaire offers outstanding diving and is definately a worthwhile trip, plus the shorediving thing sounds incredible. However I think it may be something better saved for when I'm a bit older and not so ... uhh... lively? (my appologies to the older folks if that's a bit offensive to you haha)? I'll save a metric crapton of money that I don't want to spend on a trip at this point in life unless I am 100% certain it is going to be what I am looking for, plus I will be able to use some of that saved money for gear that I will be needing no matter what. Besides, the island isn't going anywhere and I'm sure for my first dive, Florida will still be pretty cool.
That's a shame about the ferry.
The main reason the passport is an issue is because I don't have one, and to get one in time for the trip, I'm pretty sure I would need to pay extra to have it expadited. All those little additional costs really added up when I was trying to come up with an estimate.

Thanks for all the helpful input!

CLEAR BLUE:
All Of The Diving In The Florida Keys Is Awsome And The Further West You Go The Wilder It Gets.

Good to hear! I'll be in Sugarloaf Key Mile marker 20 diving in Looe Key's coral reefs. I've read it's not the best diving, but for the price and it being my first dive, I think it will be fine (and not spoil me as much as Bonaire haha).

I have been to both Curacao and Bonaire and the diving is very similar, both are very good for beginners. Curacao does offer more of a night life and other things to do besides diving. If you decide to go to Curacao I recomend you stay at the Marriott, very nice hotel and dive shop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom