New Diver's Bonaire Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No nightlife in Bonaire?!? Totally untrue there is a ton of nightlife in Bonaire. Right after the parrotfish go to sleep all the lobsters, brittle stars, eels, and sun corals come out to play. Why waste your time in a bar, the real show is underwater after the sun goes down.

But seriously, I agree with the others. If you're going on vacation to party and also do some diving go to Aruba or something like it. If you're going to dive and maybe hit the beach bar to finish off the day after a night dive, go to Bonaire. We took our 20 y.o. son with us and he was perfectly happy to quietly enjoy a beer by the pool at the end of the day. He had no problem using up all his energy diving over the course of the day.

DeputyDan:
I think you need to rethink your reason for going on the trip.

ARE YOU GOING ON A VACATION AND DO SOME DIVING OR - ARE YOU GOING ON A DIVE VACATION? These are two entirely different things. Its very important to understand this, this understanding can prevent alot of frustration in the future.

If you are doing the former then there are better choices, if you are doing the later then it does not get much better than Bonaire.

Besides, after a couple of night dives a beer and good nights sleep are the way to go.

Fair enough. Where are some of these better choices?

jquest1:
As for saving the partying for home... well The nightlife here in Amish-land is few and far between. Just one of the many reasons that when I do end up vacationing somewhere, being able to get out and enjoy a real nightlife is pretty high on the priority list.
Where in New England is "Amish-land?:huh:
Sounds like you really want to go to Cancun and do some diving (as well as other things :wink: ) while you are there.. maybe take the ferry over to Cozumel.

frank_delargy:
Where in New England is "Amish-land?:huh:
Sounds like you really want to go to Cancun and do some diving (as well as other things :wink: ) while you are there.. maybe take the ferry over to Cozumel.
haha hey someone caught that! Actually, I'm in PA. After thinking about the "Vacation to do some diving" vs "dive vacation" I came up with something sort of like this:

When I go on a vacation to ski, I go fully expecting to make first tracks in the morning and not stop untill the night-skiing ends. Most people would consider this a "Ski-Vacation" and call it a night after a long day on the slopes. But for me, after a day of skiing I hit the shower and I hit the bar/club scene untill close, and I get up the next day to do it all over again. My body keeps up fine - in fact better than when I get too much sleep; The only reason I sleep is to build stamina for the next day. Other than that, it's really a giant waste of time for me. If I spend more than 5 or 6 hours a day in a bed or laying around on a vacation I'm wasting my time. Some have said save the partying for home. Personally, I would rather save the sleep for home.

I expect the same type of activity out of a good Scuba vacation, except that unfortunately you can't Scuba straight through the day... you need to take breaks.

Here's my opinion based on what you're looking for.

Curacao definitely would be a good choice for you, perhaps Grand Cayman. Haven't been to Aruba but it would likely be a good choice as well.

Perhaps St. Maarten (we've only changed planes there), maybe Bahamas (not the out islands), maybe Jamaica.

In Mexico, Los Cabos, Cancun, and perhaps Cozumel come to mind.

Probably St. Thomas, but not St. Croix (no cruise ships docking on St. Croix - dock construction / revamp in progress).

Places least likely to fit what you're looking for: Bonaire, St. Eustatius, Saba, Cayman Brac, Little Cayman, Dominica.

Have a great trip!

I would suggest the Mexico thing.

All the sites above (by WWD) have partying!

But the Mexico sites we've visited haven't had the European flair Curacao did. Thankfully, I grew up in a beach town and learned early the value of wearing the most heavily tinted, preferably mirrored, sunglasses and exercising Jedi-like control of impulsive neck swiveling at an early age. It has served me well in life.

We were in Curacao just past Memorial Day in 2004, so there may have been a higher than usual population density of European 20-somethings visiting there after finishing their university studies. But Ty Sawyer's last review seemed to indicate this was the usual setting there.

I know the Dutch Marines / Coasties that we dove with on our day trip to Klein Curacao really enjoyed being assigned to Curacao. My wife was amused at their antics on the RIB to get the sunbathing females on the beach to sit up and see what their whistling etc. was all about (she has a good sense of humor - after all, she married me!) when the boat crew was having trouble starting the engine.

Having said that, the Mexico sites mentioned would have more familiar North American style partying going on, so it depends on what you're looking for.

Have been to bonaire, curacao and coz (3 times). Coz would be my 1st suggestion for you, then curacao. For all the reasons above. Jeez if you want you can make a party anywhere. DSAO

I've done the lonely solo trip to Bonaire and the party-guy trip to Cancun. Didn't have much luck with the "party-guy" thing so if I had a choice I'd take the Bonaire trip.

The diving in Bonaire is excellent, easy and 24 hours (at some resorts). You can dive your butt off and you should. Morning, noon and every night. Dive, dive, dive. Bring some books, think about life, talk to a few people.

Cancun looks good in the spring-break videos but, in my opinion, the reality doesn't measure up. At least with Bonaire you WILL come away with a great experience - maybe the best diving you might ever do. Definately do some night dives. With Cancun if you were looking for fun (whatever kind of fun) then you will most likely be disappointed or worse. You might do a few dives there but if so I'd research it beforehand. The two dives I did there were very bland. I never had a bland dive in Bonaire.

My first dive trip was with a dive club to Grand Cayman. We had a great time. I met some other single divers and we became good friends. Looking back (that was eighteen years ago and I was fresh out of college) I'm glad I did that trip. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom