New Divers and Dangling Equipment!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rainbowangel

Reaction score
I just completed my checkout dives for my OW certification last weekend. Hoooray!!

But that's not what this post is about really. : ) I just wanted to give a little tidbit of advice to all the other newbies, like myself, out there.

When you're in the water pay attention to where all your gear is, especially dangling items like hoses and regulators!!! Why you may ask do I think this is a good piece of advice?

On my fifth dive of our trip (my first dive as an actual, certified OW diver), everyone on our trip decided to go on a night dive. As nearly everyone on the trip had just been certified, we took an hour to go over a briefing of what to do, what to expect, etc, on a night dive... and those in charge of the dive trip made sure we went to a fairly shallow, very easy dive location.

Everyone was really excited about the dive, heebie-jeebies aside, and it was definitely a beautiful night for a dive... virtually no seas at all. So, we make it to the dive site, just after sundown, just barely enough sunlight left to see... everyone finishes getting ready and off we go! I was one of the first in the water, made my way to the mooring line, where I waited for my buddy (my hubby), and then we made sure we were all right and then started our descent to the bottom of the line, where the DM was waiting for the group.

About 1/2 of the way to the bottom, my regulator was suddenly, fairly violently, yanked from my mouth. Knee-jerk reaction I reached over my shoulder to retrieve it, however it was stuck on something... Something that was pulling it. I turned to look over my shoulder, and there was one of the other just-certified divers. She'd simply left her computer dangling at her side (even though she had a bungie to connect it to her BC). Not paying attention to where she was going, she had buzzed right over the top of my hubby and myself... the dangling computer wrapped through my regulator hose, the bungie snagged on my hose and hence as she moved on, it yanked my regulator with it. More afraid that my reg would be damaged than anything else I quickly followed her, tapped her leg to let her know I was there, and unhooked my reg. She apparently never even noticed anything had happened... Looked down at me as I was retrieving my reg and putting it back in my mouth, shrugged and swam on.

I checked to make sure my reg was all right and my hubby and I finished our descent... the rest of the dive was great. :) Luckily, if anything had been wrong, I had my AAS, as well as my hubby right next to me with his AAS... so either way, I would have been fine... but her computer could have been damaged, my reg could have been damaged... and if either I or her (if she had noticed something was wrong) had panicked bad things could have come from the incident - that could have easily been avoided if she (or her buddy) had simply checked to make sure that all of her gear was properly secured.

Making sure that my computer and AAS is always attached and not left dangling at my side wasn't something that had really dawned on me as being an important part of the predive buddy check... Now, however, it's something that I vigilently check. It would be a very silly way to ruin an expensive piece of equipment, or heaven forbid, cause someone to be injured. But, since this was something that I never even thought of, I thought perhaps it was a suggestion that might help other newbies like myself as well :)

Cheers!
Marcia

Congrats on the OW cert. Thanks for the post. You handled it superbly and your point is a very valid one. It is very important for all divers of all skills to ensure their gear is nice and tidy with no danglies.

Great job.

Brian

rainbowangel:
I just completed my checkout dives for my OW certification last weekend. Hoooray!!

But that's not what this post is about really. : ) I just wanted to give a little tidbit of advice to all the other newbies, like myself, out there.

When you're in the water pay attention to where all your gear is, especially dangling items like hoses and regulators!!! Why you may ask do I think this is a good piece of advice?

On my fifth dive of our trip (my first dive as an actual, certified OW diver), everyone on our trip decided to go on a night dive. As nearly everyone on the trip had just been certified, we took an hour to go over a briefing of what to do, what to expect, etc, on a night dive... and those in charge of the dive trip made sure we went to a fairly shallow, very easy dive location.

Everyone was really excited about the dive, heebie-jeebies aside, and it was definitely a beautiful night for a dive... virtually no seas at all. So, we make it to the dive site, just after sundown, just barely enough sunlight left to see... everyone finishes getting ready and off we go! I was one of the first in the water, made my way to the mooring line, where I waited for my buddy (my hubby), and then we made sure we were all right and then started our descent to the bottom of the line, where the DM was waiting for the group.

About 1/2 of the way to the bottom, my regulator was suddenly, fairly violently, yanked from my mouth. Knee-jerk reaction I reached over my shoulder to retrieve it, however it was stuck on something... Something that was pulling it. I turned to look over my shoulder, and there was one of the other just-certified divers. She'd simply left her computer dangling at her side (even though she had a bungie to connect it to her BC). Not paying attention to where she was going, she had buzzed right over the top of my hubby and myself... the dangling computer wrapped through my regulator hose, the bungie snagged on my hose and hence as she moved on, it yanked my regulator with it. More afraid that my reg would be damaged than anything else I quickly followed her, tapped her leg to let her know I was there, and unhooked my reg. She apparently never even noticed anything had happened... Looked down at me as I was retrieving my reg and putting it back in my mouth, shrugged and swam on.

I checked to make sure my reg was all right and my hubby and I finished our descent... the rest of the dive was great. :) Luckily, if anything had been wrong, I had my AAS, as well as my hubby right next to me with his AAS... so either way, I would have been fine... but her computer could have been damaged, my reg could have been damaged... and if either I or her (if she had noticed something was wrong) had panicked bad things could have come from the incident - that could have easily been avoided if she (or her buddy) had simply checked to make sure that all of her gear was properly secured.

Making sure that my computer and AAS is always attached and not left dangling at my side wasn't something that had really dawned on me as being an important part of the predive buddy check... Now, however, it's something that I vigilently check. It would be a very silly way to ruin an expensive piece of equipment, or heaven forbid, cause someone to be injured. But, since this was something that I never even thought of, I thought perhaps it was a suggestion that might help other newbies like myself as well :)

Cheers!
Marcia

I've always found it disturbing that I see so many divers including students under instructor supervision and even the instructors themselves with dangling equipment.

First of all it's dangerous and second, at least in the case of some agencies, it's actually a standards violation.

Equipment configuration in general and especially as it relates to emergency procedures, streamlinning and trim should be an integral part of entry level training.

As it is divers often don't get much of this in any training at all.

I think that everyone should do all they can to avoid looking like a Christmas Tree. My favorite all time description however came from O-Ring who described a diver looking "as if he covered himself in aquaseal and rolled through the LDS".

bwerb:
I think that everyone should do all they can to avoid looking like a Christmas Tree. My favorite all time description however came from O-Ring who described a diver looking "as if he covered himself in aquaseal and rolled through the LDS".
Seen that, dived with that.........

bwerb:
... My favorite all time description however came from O-Ring who described a diver looking "as if he covered himself in aquaseal and rolled through the LDS".

LOL. Great description.

Yeah, unfortunately I saw lots of that on my trip. I'm going to be much more aware of who is diving directly around me due to this too.

Don't forget the damage that unsecured equipment can do to reefs and to the critters that live upon them. Congrats on your certification and being able to handle that incident like a pro!

And how about the crap that can be accumulating in you AAS while it's dragging along the bottom...you buddy/hubby/whoever... would appreciate a clean reg in an emergency.

Making sure that my computer and AAS is always attached and not left dangling at my side wasn't something that had really dawned on me as being an important part of the predive buddy check

All the places I have taken courses at, or seen courses being tuaght they have made this an important point, and the DM's, Instructors and boat captains have all checked every diver for this (and numerous other equipment problems) before they enter the water.

Whilst it is a problem, I can understand why newbie divers, caught up in all that goes along with being an inexperienced diver, can miss this relatively minor point. b4 I get flamed I mean relatively minor as compared to "is my air turned on?", "is my BCD upside down?", "do I have a mask" (seen all of these).

What is more troubling is her reaction.

She apparently never even noticed anything had happened... Looked down at me as I was retrieving my reg and putting it back in my mouth, shrugged and swam on.

For many new divers having your regulator yanked from your mouth is a big worry. (I have seen ppl holding it the whole diver) so I am suprised and shocked she reacted this way :11: .

A few questions:

Did she re-attach her computer after the incident? - If ya gonna make a mistake, at least learn from it.

Did you mention anything to her after the dive? - A tactile conversation can be a learning expirience for the both of you.

Did the DM see and signal to her or talk to her after the dive?

Lastly as you continue to dive you will see divers do stupid and negligent things. Just be; prepared, calm and self reliant. Well done for handling the situation well.

-Jack

I want to especially commend you for keeping your cool. Even some of the most experienced divers I have been out with, hit the panic button in situations like you encountered. Not only is keeping your accessories tethered down important (after all there have to be about 30 plus different products out there to do so), but keeping arms down, & wrists crossed in a streamline position over the top of your "danglies" an effective way to keep 'em off the reef. Imagine too, the air you are conserving being so "aqua-dynamic" (more dive time!!).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom