New Divers and Basic Scuba color changes

Do you like the font/color change?

• No. Please put all the forums back to the same font

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Yes. I like it the Bolded Navy color.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Yes. But I think it needs a different color.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • What font change? I can't tell any difference.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • I like the idea, but want a better way to identify those forums.

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other - for everyone who says their choice wasn't listed on the poll.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I like the SeaGreen color

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our Madison Avenue man is working on the weekend. :thumb:

The "usability" experts in my interactive group seem to have exerted their influence on me.

"This is not the website you want..."
these_are_not_the_droids.jpg

Also note, that I would suggest moving the "Q&A For Agencies" forum out of the "Scuba Diving Central" or at least out of the top and down to the bottom of the section. Listing "New Divers and Those Considering Diving" and "Basic Scuba Discussions" first (and in green) would also help to convey that these two forums are "entry level" forums...

Another good suggestion for us to consider RJP. I seldom browse the board this way, choosing instead to just hit "new posts" so that is something that would likely not have occurred to me. Great example of why user input is valuable.

We are testing a change to the titles of the New Divers and the Basic Scuba forums to a bolded navy color. The purpose of this test is to give a visual reminder when people select new posts that they are entering the "friendly, flame free zone" and that special rules apply.

Depending on feedback and results of this test, this may or may not be a permanent change.
I saw the forum title bolding (didn't perceive it as a different color) today in a "new posts" listing and guessed at the reason for it. Searched posts in Site Support and found this thread.

1. The darker shade plus bolding takes too much focus, is stronger than anything else on the new posts list, distracts from the post titles column. I think just a color shift (to dark cyan, for example) would be less arresting.

2. It might be an impossible hack but my first reaction on seeing the new look of the new-posts list was to look for a clickable gadget (question mark, say) next to each bolded forum title. They do shout "I'm special" when in boldface and If I were a new visitor I would want to know why before entering.

3. From my experience in commercial design and typography, bold looks loud, like a warning. This might or might not be the effect you're looking for.

Hope this helps,
Bryan

PS. I use the default site and forum display settings and skins.

PPS. Quick work on the thanks re-hack, kudos.

Last edited:
looks beautiful and legible on my screen, I like the text in bold .. noticed it right away when using New Posts
SB Default
1280x1024
IE 8

I did not notice a difference when browsing the forums until after I read this thread. I like RJP's suggestions. The green makes me think "safe."

Deferent computer/monitor ... looks good
when clicking new posts, the regular forums are a faded blue, the Basic Scuba forums are bold dark blue to me

When reading "New" posts not listed in forum order, it is easy to think a question is in a more advanced group. I often open several windows from the "New" post list which confuses the issue more. Would it be possible to display the forum and thread title above the reply boxes as a reminder? You may be considering a critical reply thinking it was in an advanced forum, but it is before posting a reply that a reminder would be useful.

Would it be possible to display the forum and thread title above the reply boxes as a reminder? You may be considering a critical reply thinking it was in an advanced forum, but it is before posting a reply that a reminder would be useful.

A similar reminder had already been tested. It was found that for low trafficked areas it might be workable but in higher traffic forums it was distracting to most users.

Back
Top Bottom