New diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello,
I am recently certified and now on a mission to buy my own equipment. I am really overwhelmed by the amount and brands. How do I find the right equipment.. I am mostly looking for BCD and Regulators. It is hard when your dive shop only has certain brands, how would you recommend I go about getting my equipment.

Thanks,
Chris

Go to Scubatoys - they have a great selection, they're dealers for everything they sell (no warranty issues) and really nice people. Not pushy at all and won't oversell you. In Carrollton.

Deals on name brand scuba gear - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

I wish I lived in Dallas, I'd be there all the time. As it is, they get about a quarter of my dive gear expenditures anyway - I've been a customer for about a decade. Excellent return policies also although I've never needed to.

Last edited:
Agreed. I've bought from them online and by phone before and been quite pleased. They used to offer a discount to ScubaBoard members; wonder if that's still true?

On the BCD issue, one issue you may face is traditional 'jacket' BCD vs. Backplate/Wing (BP/W). The former is pretty much 'off the shelf, put it on,' the latter modular, customizable, and popular with some of the membership on the forum (in fact, if you're interested in progressing to technical diving later, this might be well worth your time to explore).

I've only dove traditional jacket BCD's (and even there, you could get rear inflate). I strongly prefer a BCD with 2 cam bands (regardless of what some may say, I've had both, and 2 is more secure!) and rear trim pockets to move some weight up the body and make achieving horizontal trim in the water easier.

Unless you intend to dive really cold or polluted water, I doubt which regulator brand will be as critical. It's nice to get something the shop does routine service on. Be wary of the super expensive ones; for example, in Atomic Aquatic's line, you've got a range of regulators breathing about the same, where a small drop in weight can cost you hundreds more. Not worth it to me. Some reg.s have a longer than annual recommended service interval; the Atomics are like this, but at the cost of it's recommended you not submerge the 1st & 2nd stages together in the rinse tank unless it's pressurized on a tank. A minor annoyance, but there it is.

For a dive computer, I like air integration because I like seeing my pressures on the computer and having the computer automatically log them for download to a dive log on my desktop computer later. Some people consider air integration worthless. That's its own big debate on the forum. If you don't buy an AI capable computer (e.g.: in a wrist unit's case, with or without the wireless transmitter) up front, you can't add the capability later. The Shearwater Perdix AI version would give you a highly reputable computer, tech.-capable, with option to add a transmitter later. Not cheap, but might be of interest. Then again, some people like to start out cheaper and upgrade in a few years if they need to.

If the computer's digital compass is good enough (assuming it has one), you may not need an analog compass.

If you foresee shore diving, consider getting scuba boots with fairly thick soles. I wore SeaSoft Sunrays to walk on iron shore on Bonaire's shores; for colder water, SeaSoft has the Stealth boots. In hindsight, I suspect maybe I should've just bought the Stealths since they can do warm OR cold (thicker than Sunrays).

A mask that fits is a big deal. It may be one of the cheaper ones; this is an area where buying high end may be a waste of money.

Richard.

take it 1 piece at a time.

Ask a lot of questions, both here and at your LDS. Then ask more questions since at least 1 of the responders is trying to sell you something.

And fell free to step back on slow your mission down a bit. It is okay to "rent while learning".

So many ways to go. I bought most stuff used from either my LDS or one in FL. Make sure stuff like BC, wetsuit (drysuit?) fits comfortably. Good if you can try it out first in a pool if possible. Rinse all thoroughly-nooks & crannies- after each day of diving. My used wetsuit lasted 10 years and the used BCD is still (barely maybe) going. Dump salt water out of BC, add a little baby shampoo & lot of fresh water, dump again often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom