New diver with a reg question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been prowling the forums for a while, just trying to learn as much as I can, I'm a gun guy by trade and hobby and diving is fairly new to me, ow cert was last July and I've only logged 10 dives since then as I live in MO and don't get out as much as I should. All that being said, my two oldest boys (21 and 12) and my wife are also certified and the 10 yo is taking classes now. Because of all that, I've been shopping around for equipment, I found a complete setup from a local guy who got his ow and then decided he didn't like to dive. I bought everything for my oldest (who's 6'6" with size 15 feet and almost impossible to buy for) from this guy for about half price. Its all good stuff but the reg has an Air2 on it and no octo. It's a scuba pro reg and I came across an aqua lung octo exactly like mine that I'd like to add to his setup just so he has a better option for sharing air. (the air2 setup is nice for a reg failure but IMHO not so much for having to share.) is it feasible to mix an aqua lung and a scuba pro, is it safe? And lastly, is it just a bad idea?

thanks guys,
The Bulletmaker

Been Here and done this. Your question almost exactly mirrors one of my first posts on SB. I had a scuba pro first & second stage and very succesfully paired it for 1 year with a titan Octo untl i upgraded the whole setup up.

I've been prowling the forums for a while, just trying to learn as much as I can, I'm a gun guy by trade and hobby and diving is fairly new to me, ow cert was last July and I've only logged 10 dives since then as I live in MO and don't get out as much as I should. All that being said, my two oldest boys (21 and 12) and my wife are also certified and the 10 yo is taking classes now. Because of all that, I've been shopping around for equipment, I found a complete setup from a local guy who got his ow and then decided he didn't like to dive. I bought everything for my oldest (who's 6'6" with size 15 feet and almost impossible to buy for) from this guy for about half price. Its all good stuff but the reg has an Air2 on it and no octo. It's a scuba pro reg and I came across an aqua lung octo exactly like mine that I'd like to add to his setup just so he has a better option for sharing air. (the air2 setup is nice for a reg failure but IMHO not so much for having to share.) is it feasible to mix an aqua lung and a scuba pro, is it safe? And lastly, is it just a bad idea?

thanks guys,
The Bulletmaker

I guess you meant the BCD came with an AIR2 and the regulator without octopus.

I'm diving more than twenty years with an AIR2 and an extra octopus and feel very comfortable with it.

The Aqualung octo is no problem mixed with a SP 1st, but I would avoid the ABS or the LPO octopus.

They are to my opinion not very good breathers,the venturi is usually not working in the normal test range up to 12,5 SCFM.

The octopus is not necessarily only for your buddy in an emergency case. It is also your alternate air source in case of problems with your primary 2nd.

So it might be a good idea to invest in an octopus which is of similar quality as your primary 2nd.

If you put an Aqualung Octo/2nd on a ScubaPro regulator you need to find someone authorized to service both. With the Air2 it's only a ScubaPro dealer.
Around here there's no one that services both since they're just about the most direct competitors for each other that exist.

Otoh, since you're buying used, there's no warranty from either company anyway.

Being a gun guy by trade, doing your own service and repair on your regs might be something you would want to consider. You may already have many of the tools required. If you decide to go that route, there is plenty of info on this website and others as well. If you know someone who is proficient in reg servicing / repair, definitely ask for some hands on training and pick their brains.

You are going to have to buy another inflator mechanism and another hose, to do this. I much prefer the Air 2.

If you're going to retain the Air2 without an octopus, put your primary second stage on a 40" hose with a 90 degree fitting and run it under your arm. THAT's the reg. you are going to donate!

Thanks for all the replies, I'm planing on leaving the Air2 on, just adding an octo as well. I assume that's acceptable? As for servicing my own stuff, I hadn't thought about that, is there a place I can get detailed info on doing do? My company is an 07ffl and I build guns all the time, now that you mention it, I assume it's not much different?

Thanks again for everything.

Thanks for all the replies, I'm planing on leaving the Air2 on, just adding an octo as well. I assume that's acceptable? As for servicing my own stuff, I hadn't thought about that, is there a place I can get detailed info on doing do? My company is an 07ffl and I build guns all the time, now that you mention it, I assume it's not much different?

Thanks again for everything.

Start by reading Vance Harlow's book:

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

Once you understand the basics, you'll have no problem servicing your own gear. It is all very simple and straightforward, you just need to be able to work carefully, pay attention to detail and have a little (very little, actually!!) mechanical aptitude. You probably have most of the tools you'll need, and most "special" tools can usually be made out of tools you already have laying around, or ordered online.

The "usual suspects" on this board are great folks, and are very willing to share hard-earned knowledge if you post questions.

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom