New diver wants dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanfunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello to all I will be going for my NAUI training in 2 weeks. I been buying my gear little by little. I have bought my bcd fins and mask. I am look into buying the kronos Aqualung regulator. So it brings me to the computer part. I want a air integrated dive computer I am looking into the pro plus 2. I trust computers and can trust them with my life. I am getting the computer for $500. what do u guys think all opinions will be appreciated

I'd actually wait and try a couple of different computer styles before you do too much shopping.

The Oceanic Pro Plus 2 is an AI consul computer. A lot of folks like a wrist mounted unit and there are plenty of AI wrist computers out there.

Try renting and borrowing different styles before you get too deep in investing.

It is better to buy right and buy once.

I have a pro plus 2 and have been very happy with it. You can use air or nitrox. A quick disconnect and computer cable would be nice. I like a console instead of having some lumpy thing on my wrist. It has a nice large display and is much easier for me to read. The algorithms are more generous than some which gives you more dive time.

Odds are, if you have wrist, you will evenually want console, and if you want console, then you will find you should have gotten wrist.

It is an excellent computer...and if you like it...enjoy. Hopefully diving will be more about the experience and less about the equipment as time passes.

Hello to all I will be going for my NAUI training in 2 weeks. I been buying my gear little by little. I have bought my bcd fins and mask. I am look into buying the kronos Aqualung regulator. So it brings me to the computer part. I want a air integrated dive computer I am looking into the pro plus 2. I trust computers and can trust them with my life. I am getting the computer for $500. what do u guys think all opinions will be appreciated

I'd reconsider the trusting a computer (or anything else) with your life part. Otherwise...have fun!

I'd reconsider the trusting a computer (or anything else) with your life part. Otherwise...have fun!

yea, wait till you lose total power on one-----they are then dumb as bricks.......

Come on. Unless you driving some old car that uses a carburetor and doesn't have ABS and you never fly or call 911, our lives rely on computer every day.

Use the computer. It is a tool. Just don't shut off the most important computer you have, your brain.

Good advice by Paddler3d, rent an couple a see what works for you. The market is flooded with good products. I like Oceanic OC1, Suunto D9 and if you have $$$ buy a VR3 and never worry again about DC's

The OP isn't certified, so the trusting a computer with my life comment should be retracted after his OW.

I would recommend you try some different styles too. I thought I wanted a console. I dove with one a few times and couldn't see it (don't ask). So I have a wrist computer.

Thought I wanted a second computer which was AI. Then I went diving with a buddy who had one. On our first dive, we jumped in and his computer was working but not reading his air supply. We got out, he reset it, it was reading fine, we get back in, does it again. He didn't have a backup pressure gauge, so that was it for us. Battery in the sensor was weak. I don't want AI anymore.

Learn your tables and don't trust the computer blindly. Make sure you have a backup gauge if you use the AI computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom