New diver to Keys - have questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaScubaGirl70:
Hi,
I am looking forward to going - but a bit nervous about first ocean dive, and I have never been out on a boat!!!

You need to know this about the Keys - the dive boats DO NOT send a dive master along with you unless you arrange for one in advance, at an extra cost. You get in the water with your buddy and you are expected to find your way back to the boat on your own (unless you are doing a drift dive).

If you have never dove in the ocean before, I recommend that you call the dive shops before your trip and find one that will send a dive master along with you.

Also, as others have said, be sure to take some seasickness medication. It can be choppy, and the conditions can change during the trip. I have had good success by taking some dramamine the night before the dive, more first thing in the morning, and another at least an hour before the dive. If you get seasick on the boat, it's too late to do anything, so be sure to take something at least an hour before the boat leaves.

The diving in Pennecamp park and Marathon is very nice. Have fun!

I made ten dives in Key Largo in February, mostly with Silent World. They run a safe, efficient, courteous and professional operation, and I think that the 10 dive / 5 trip package that they offer for $200 is one of the best dive deals in the Keys.

There was moderate current on a couple of the shallow reef dives (Christ-In-The-Abyss was one, don't remember the other one). In addition to the anti-seasickness meds, don't forget the sunscreen. The Florida sun can be brutal (you'll get over being seasick, but a sunburn will be with you a while).

There's a full report for my Key Largo trip at my website.

I hope you have a great trip.

I took my daughter to Key west in Feb and had a great time. No current and the set the dives to her level. Newbie :) We had a ball and saw quite a few critters and such. Just do your homework and research the net. THe Dive ops we saw were all great so Good luck.

Many thanks to all of you!!! You are very helpful, and yes I will be straight-up about my newbie status on the boat. I want a fun, but safe dive trip.
Many thanks again!

remember, the Keys stretch just over 100 miles from Key West to Key Largo, so you'll want to be diving closer to where you are staying - there are nice reefs in Key Largo (100miles from Key West), Marathon (50 miles from Key West) and Looe Key (20 miles from Key West).
If you want some evening entertainment or other activities as well as the diving - Key West is a good place to stay (but not so much to dive), instead, you can stay in Key West and then drive the 20 miles each morning to Looe Key. If diving in Key Largo or Marathon - stay and dive in that location. While 50 miles doesn't sound that far, it can take a while as it is a slow road, and after diving you will get tired.

1 big vote for Blue Water Divers, and Key Largo Brent! Hands down the most acomodating, friendliest, charter you could ask for. Were were treated above and beyond what we expected. And he is certainly one of the reasons we had such a great time there. The wrecks and reefs were great in Largo, but when we went to Marathon we were pretty dissapointed by the diving there, we were dropped off on basically dead reefs and sand. One of the best dives in Key Largo is the Benwood Wreck, it's shallow so no worries with depth, and the life there is amazing.

If you aren't comfortable with navigation do what my wife likes to do. We hang out within a short distance from the boat and look at stuff very slowly. In her case she doesn't like to do long swims. In your case Navigation is very easy. We actually tend to see a lot more too and our air lasts much longer.

The temptation I see with many new divers is to follow the pack. The problem with that is if you get separated, you get lost. Fortunately most of the time you can pop up and find the boat.

Oh, also make sure you can recognize your boat, both from above and below the water. Nothing more embarassing to come up on the wrong boat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom