New diver to Keys - have questions!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi,
I am a new diver and going to the Keys first part of May. I would like to know the best sites for beginners. I have not dove in the ocean yet!! How long are the boat rides? Is there much current? I am looking forward to going - but a bit nervous about first ocean dive, and I have never been out on a boat!!! What can I expect to see? Any advice on who the best dive operators would be for beginners?
Thanks for any advice you may be able to give me!!:05:

I've only been diving in marathon but from what I've seen the currents are non existant most times and visibility can be awesome.
boat rides to the shallow reefs are very short as well
have fun!

Key Largo has a lot of great, easy dive sites. Just be sure that you're honest with the boat crew about your previous (or lack of) diving experience. You should be discussing this with the diver operation, whoever you choose to go with, before your boat even leave the dock. They will be more than glad to help you out.

Boat diving, for me anyway, is a lot easier than shore diving. You don't have to worry about slack tides, fighting the surf, etc. You just jump off the boat and you're there. Don't take any gear with you that you don't need, since extra space on boats is usually scarce.

In the Keys, you will likely see critters that are also native to Caribbean waters. Go to http://www.reef.org/webres/gallery.htm That will give you some ideas as to the things you'll see. You might also consider picking up a book about the marine life. It will come in handy when you fill out your dive log and will help you learn the names of the various creatures.

I'm going to Key Largo, May 2nd, and would say you could tag along with us, but we're going out on a very small boat to a few of the more difficult sites. Sorry.

Have fun wherever you decide to go!

All the reefs in the keys are pretty shallow and great beginner diving. Looe Key is probably the prettiest reef around and you're likely to get good vis, little or no current, and see all your typical Caribbean marine life.

If you've never been on a boat before I highly recommend some sort of seasickness meds to prevent you from having an absolutely miserable time of it. The boat crew will be more than willing to work with you if you tell them you're very new. Remember to pay attention to the dive briefings and ask about anything you're not sure you understand. Get to the boat on time or a little early and be prepared to set up your own gear. Again, ask about where to stow your stuff and leave anything non-essential or likely to be destroyed if it gets wet in the car. Most boats will have water on board, but it never hurts to bring a liter or 2 along with you.

Remember to have fun!

Rachel

Remember to tip the boat crew, also, especially if you are booked for multiple days.

rainbow Reef dive shop has a little map of the dive sites and some short descriptions. It gives you the depth and the recommended certification level for the dive. I am endorsing RR as the operator to go with--heck, my first trip to the keys isn't until June--I'm just recommending the website for some information.

http://www.rainbowreef.us/divelocations/index.html

I would suggest calling multiple shops or checking out their web sites to find one that fits your personality!

Like the others have said, be sure to be up front with the shop operators and ESPECIALLY the Captains and DMs about your experience and ask questions!

As far as tipping the crew, IF you feel they deserve an extra "thank you", then it sure brightens their day. The shop Im affliated with (and I am sure it is the policy of other establishments) has a policy of not asking, solicting or even hinting at tipping. Its purely the choice of our guests!

Above all, have fun and enjoy the diving! :)

Pat

What MsParamedic said is correct. Don't tip if the guys don't deserve it. Just keep in mind, if you are diving multiple days with a particular operation, a little tip on the first day can only help to improve the service. It's just human nature. However, if the service is awful, don't tip and find yourself another dive op.

Hi, If going to Key Largo (upper keys) I'll leave links to two ops. I think you'd be comfortable with. One takes 6 divers, the other 12, you sit at back of boat with fins,mask ,and weightbelt on. The Capt./Dm will bring tank to you, slip in and away you go. Exit procedure is reverse. No trying to walk on a moving deck carrying all your gear. Stick to the reef dives, usally under 40ft., pay attention to u/w navigation either compass or natural (hey that coral looks like uncle ed's bald head) :) Otherwise at your turn around pressure you will have to surface and shoot a compass heading back to boat. If alone, you may want to inquire about a guide, then all you do is monitor your air and let him/her take you back to boat. Seas have been rather calm, but can get a bit bumpy if the winds pick up. Look for non-drowsy Dramamine(otc)or my fav. is the Scopolomine patch(script), provided you won't be imbibing while using. Also, call ahead as business is picking up and these boats tend to fill up. The wife and I are booked on the Scuba-Do Sun. May 21 AM, doing two reef dives (getting used to some new equipment before a late June liveaboard trip) and you're welcome to join if space is still avail. If you go on one of the larger boats, I'd go ahead and pay extra for a guide, you'd be very comfortable then. If diving the lower Keys then biscuit7's comments are spot on. Looe Key is a great dive. So c'mon down and enjoy yourself, perhaps post a trip report afterwards. John
http://www.keylargodiving.com/ & http://scuba-do.com/ & http://www.dualporpoise.net/

with Key Largo or Looe Key. Both feature high profile coral ledges seperated by sand channels in the 20-40' depth range, and loads of fishes and other critters! Most large boats cater to the least common denominator, while smaller boats tend to provide a more pleasant, personalized experience.

As others have mentioned, be honest and forthright about your relative lack of experience. A willingness to learn (which you've already demonstrated by posting here) goes a long way towards creating a positive relationship with your crew.

Narrow down your search, and then speak directly with each operator under consideration. You'll get a feel for which one(s) are right (or wrong) for you.

Dive safely, and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom