New diver, simple question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moose200x

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Dear Scuboard,

I have recently became interested in scuba diving. After reading through some FAQs I am now worried that this sport may be too advanced for me. What I am interested in doing is getting my cert then doing some very basic dives in lakes, going no deeper than 20-30 feet max. Nothing exciting like going to caves and such. Just simple looking around.

Would you consider diving like I said would be easy for anybody to learn or is it still really hard?

Love,

John

Welcome to Scubaboard, John -

Scuba is a wonderful sport ... you can make of it what you want. It can be simple, leisurely, and quite low risk. Some choose to take it to its challenging limits after extensive training and experience. You get to make that choice. And the good thing ... everyone starts at square one, with some very basic information. You are in control thereafter to make it as advanced as you choose ... or not. Is there someone you'll be able to dive with, as a buddy, when you do your lake dives? Maybe a friend, or a local diving club? If you're interested in solo diving, that definitely falls toward the more advanced spectrum. At any rate, you've found a great source of information and a support system here.

Do some research, ask questions here, ask questions locally, find a teaching organization you're comfortable with, and go for it! You'll find threads here that tell you what questions to ask when looking for an instructor. If you have the interest to dive, and can learn some simple but important skills and information, I'm sure you'll find great rewards, and find you can dive at your own comfort level.

Diving is not for everyone.

That said, I think almost anyone can go down and learn the basics. I recently met a guy who takes blind and disabled people down on dives. I've also seen students decide that they didn't want to complete their Open Water class because it just wasn't for them.

You could try a Discover Scuba course and see if you like it before getting certified. Usually people take these courses on vacation at resorts or on a day-trip off of cruise ships, but there may be a local course for you. A PADI Open Water cert is usually 4 days and then you know the minimum basics to go out and build your dive skills.

How far you want to take it is totally up to you. Some divers want to keep progressing and learning and honing their buoyancy, trim, skills, safety, etc. Others just want to go down and look at the fish. Nothing wrong with either approach.

Are you comfortable around water and swimming?

Best,
-Graham

Dear Scuboard,

I have recently became interested in scuba diving. After reading through some FAQs I am now worried that this sport may be too advanced for me. What I am interested in doing is getting my cert then doing some very basic dives in lakes, going no deeper than 20-30 feet max. Nothing exciting like going to caves and such. Just simple looking around.

Would you consider diving like I said would be easy for anybody to learn or is it still really hard?

Love,

John

I'm a beginner and my interests aren't that much different than yours. I have no desire to do deep wreck diving, cave diving, dry suit diving, etc. What I want to do is be proficient at controlling my buoyancy in different conditions and then head to tropical waters to take photos of pretty fish in around 40-50 feet of water.

I just got my OW cert and it wasn't that hard. I'm no athlete and the hardest thing for me was just carrying the heavy gear from one place to the next. The actual diving was easier than I thought. It's amazing how simple I found it to take my mask off and breathe without my nose covered.

I do intend to continue learning though. I'm doing my AOW dives next month, and will take even more classes after that, once I have a few more dives under my belt.

I started diving when I was 12 years old. And now, 15 years later, I am working on my Divemaster certification. I digress but, I used to think I too would never descend beyond 25 feet. But, I took courses in wreck and deep diving because of my love of maritime history and many wrecks I dive are at least 80 feet. You also find some cool sea animals the deeper you go as well. So, just start out with the basics, have fun, and you never know how your interests might lead you to more advanced diving.

I wish you all the best.

I'm sorry you came away from your reading here with the idea that diving is hard to do. Diving is actually fairly easy, although diving well takes some investment of time and effort. It is true that some people have difficulties in their open water classes with specific skills, like mask clearing or buoyancy control. But the majority can work through those issues and achieve a reasonable toehold on skill that will allow them to go out and do exactly the kind of dives you're describing -- shallow, benign, fun dives that allow the diver to practice until he becomes more comfortable and facile with things in the water, and if he wishes, ready to tackle something more.

Read the journal of my open water class that I link to in my sig line -- even people who struggle mightily can become happy divers!

Hello John,
Welcome to the Scuba Board! Most people dive exactly the way that you have indicated you want to. That is some what "shallow" and in calm water. All divers start there and progress (or not) at the speed they are comfortable with. You will find as your comfort level and skill increase your definition of "shallow" may deepen. Also, don't worry to much about many of the discussions on this board. It is populated for the most part by very experienced, very driven divers. That is not a bad thing as they have a wealth of experience to pass on. Just don't get intimidated by some of the content. As was said earlier, we are all new divers once, and started out very much like you.

I hope you continue to research the sport and find an instructor that meets your needs. I am sure there are many on this board who would be happy to point you in the right direction, just ask!

I hope to see you in the pond soon. :D

I forgot to add that I am very obese. I weigh in right now at 406lbs. Will this be a problem? I am hoping to drop another 25-50 before starting classes.

Rather than echo the other posts about progressing as much or as little as you want, I will address your latest question. While it will pose some difficulties, I have known several divers who are rather large. The major problem you will run into is getting properly fitting equipment. But since I have known large divers, there must be a solution. I am not certain how large you can get a traditional BCD, but there is always backplate and wings (I can't believe I just said that), that can be customized to size rather easily, if I understand the concept correctly. Some BP/W enthusiasts on here can clarify that better than I. The other issue would be wetsuits. They can be found in large sizes, but that large may be a custom job, but I'm sure it can be done. If custom suits are required, it may also be a rather costly venture. I hope you research it, and are able to get set up. It is worth it! Good luck

Welcome to the board John.
Your biggest issues are going to be finding equipment that fits and your physical ability. Please understand I am not trying to be rude but there are physical activates that a diver must be able to do to safely dive. Are you capable of physical task like climbing up the ladder at a pool or easily getting up off the ground with 50 to 75 lbs of gear on? These are task that a diver often encounters. Not being able to do them reasonably easily is a problem. Without knowing you, I can't answer those questions. I have known folks who were large and still were amazingly agile and others who were smaller but could barely get up off a chair, you need to decide for yourself where you fit in that range and make the call. Diving itself is fairly easy to learn and do but you do need to be up to the physical challenge.

Back
Top Bottom