New diver - should I take my camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver84

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving, but I've been snorkeling for years and I already have a camera and housing that I've used for that. I understand that the camera can be a huge distraction without a lot of experience. However, I still really want to take my camera down with me in case I see something really cool that I want to remember from the trip. It's a relatively small camera (lumix tz3), so I can just clip it to my BCD and only use it if I see something good and we're not rushed or falling behind. My wife is my buddy and she's pretty understanding. The last thing I want to do is harm my wife or myself. On the other hand, I also don't want to leave a perfectly good camera up at the surface.

I've seen conflicting thoughts in past threads, so I thought I would get some more input. Do you think it's a bad idea for a beginner to take a camera?

Also, if this belongs in another forum, please move it.

I DMd an OW dive #3 & 4 where most of the students showed up with UW cameras. The instructor briefed them on when and where the cameras were appropriate. Almost all of the students left them on the boat until the tour on #4. There were a couple that we had to redirect a little but it wasn't a HUGE deal. We watched them close.

That said, I don't suggest that you tote the camera just yet. New divers usually don't know what they don't know yet so a distraction can create a problem. When we can, it is fun to have another pro along who is an extra set of eyes and snaps some photos. The students get copies and it motivates them to continue on to AOW where they can get some instruction and experience with the camera.

Hope that helps.

I 2nd that Motion, New divers really should not Jump right into A camera yet, you need to get your skills down to a -T- First, Taking a camera can be task loading leading to much worse problems, I don't mean to bust your Bubble, Take the time to learn your buoyancy skills and your gear First, Get some dives under your belt, Then take the camera!!

Photography takes excellent Buoyancy skills and a diver that really knows the gear and how to load them all together, With out over tasking yourself.

Leave the camera for latter!

I've considered this question myself. Buoyancy control came quite naturally to me as did my other skills so carrying a camera is certainly fair game at this point. But I have noticed that even some VERY experienced divers lose control of their buoyancy, consume more air, and oddly, SEE less when they are toting cameras. I can recall a time or two on my liveaboard when someone was so intent on capturing a shot that they didn't see something really cool right behind them. What I love about diving is the Zen and meditative aspects. My choice is not to have one, so that I can just enjoy my dive and really SEE what is there to see.

I have found too that there are always people shooting on these trips who are happy to share their pictures with me, so I carry flash drives and such.

But if you really want to shoot pictures, maybe take it with you on an easier dive, and take notice of how it impacts your skills in the water.

Your chance of getting a good picture of anything really "cool" is pretty slim. That being said, it seems that you are aware of the damage that distracted photographers can do to the dive site and the danger to your safety. If you don't "chase" anything really "cool" to get a picture, take the camera and get some decent shots of you and your wife diving on vacation.

Your chances of getting a good picture of anything really "cool" is pretty slim. That being said, it seems that you are aware of the damage that distracted photographers can do to the dive site and the danger to your safety. If you don't "chase" anything really "cool" to get a picture, take the camera and get some decent shots of you and your wife diving on vacation.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Definitely leaning toward not taking it.

Also, to clarify, "cool" is a pretty relative term here since it looks you have at least 500 more dives than I do. Obviously I'm not toting it along expecting to see a whale shark come up and swim with us. However, sea turtles in front of colorful coral would be enough to qualify as "cool" for me right now.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Definitely leaning toward not taking it.

Also, to clarify, "cool" is a pretty relative term here since it looks you have at least 500 more dives than I do. Obviously I'm not toting it along expecting to see a whale shark come up and swim with us. However, sea turtles in front of colorful coral would be enough to qualify as "cool" for me right now.

Good Decision not to take it, I have been teaching scuba a Long while now, I also do Underwater Photography, Have been for many years, Take the time to learn and Enjoy Scuba Diving, Then take the time to **Ease** Into Photography, You will be much happier with the out come!

Bud, take the camera. Don't try to get a macro shot of a shrimp. You may not have the skills to get that close and do not harm. You do know enough to take a picture of your wife and take home a memory of an adventure and a place. Those are the photos I value the most. Just be very aware of your surroundings.

Hi, I know I'm late posting, but just wanna second the posts/advice so far.
I'd put in a few dives till you're comfortable in the water (like 15-20 dives, no major issues with buoyancy control, navigation etc) before contemplating bringing along a camera. keep the camera on the boat if it's a new and challenging dive (i.e. low vis, strong or unpredictable currents). And I'd recommend bringing a point-and-shoot camera first (fewer controls to get you distracted). And resist the tendency to stray too far from your buddy - I have made the mistake of straying from mine till I noticed he/she was gone when I looked up.
Enjoy diving and UW photographing.

Last edited:
Bud, take the camera. Don't try to get a macro shot of a shrimp. You may not have the skills to get that close and do not harm. You do know enough to take a picture of your wife and take home a memory of an adventure and a place. Those are the photos I value the most.

Sorry, But I will say, I think that is bad advice!!:shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom