New diver - should I take my camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seems every1 here has the pros and cons of sayin take the camera and dont take the camera . i think its up to the person that is goin to dive with the camera if he/she feels comfortable with havin it on them to took take fotos underwater and to make sure that the dive group and thier buddy knows that they will need to watch out for u more as u will tend be the slower person in the group now with the camera as u will be clickin away at all the cool things to see there.

Sorry, But I will say, I think that is bad advice!!:shakehead:

I know Jim.

I generally think a camera in the hands of a new diver is a very bad idea. But if he stays away from the reef, with a camera he is comfortable with, he should be alright. Now if the OP was completely focused on getting a "killer shot", I would have the same concerns you do.

This one is a judgment call between us and I favor giving him some slack. Is he a new diver, yes. He seems to have a level of understanding of the risks of distraction. It is a PS camera. It is not like he will be in full manual mode on a DSLR.

If he finds it too distracting, he will ditch the camera. I don't see him as being too focused on photography to ignore more important matters.

I know Jim.

I generally think a camera in the hands of a new diver is a very bad idea. But if he stays away from the reef, with a camera he is comfortable with, he should be alright. Now if the OP was completely focused on getting a "killer shot", I would have the same concerns you do.

This one is a judgment call between us and I favor giving him some slack. Is he a new diver, yes. He seems to have a level of understanding of the risks of distraction. It is a PS camera. It is not like he will be in full manual mode on a DSLR.

If he finds it too distracting, he will ditch the camera. I don't see him as being too focused on photography to ignore more important matters.

Great post and Advice, I Like your insites of this Matter!!!

I think the most important thing to consider is your own comfort level and evaluate your ability to sort out tasks. If you tend to get distracted and bogged down, then no, a camera is probably a liability right now. However, if you can manage it you will get some photos that are really special and unforgettable. The photos will help cement memories that are important to you.

When I did my first "real" dives in Roatan and Cozumel I took Kodak one-time use "disposable" cameras with me. I tethered them to my BC and focused on diving knowing I had a "camera" if I saw something cool. I took 3 cameras worth of photos in my 4 dives. I was supposed to also dive Costa Maya but the wind was too much so the port was closed. With the exception of my avatar shot (taken by the DM at 2 arm's length on our 15 foot safety stop) the photos sucked... too blue. I however can look at the photos and see the dim fish, coral heads, and "cool" stuff I took pictures of. At no time did I let taking a picture overtake diving safely. If anything I had a strong motivator to learn to hover to get my shot. I did things I would have never done, such as turning upside down to take a picture.... I do not like to be upside down because there is always a trace amount of water in my mask that runs around.

That said, I know I have not dialed in my buoyancy so I keep my distance from everything. I can see the reef just fine from 10 feet with 100 foot viz. I've never understood the need to get 3 inches from something that would be devastated or sting the hell out of you if you accidentally touch it.

Anyhow, I think that you should bring the camera along. You never know what you will see and the snapshots you take will be "cool" to you, your family, and your friends regardless of if National Geographic editors would fall out of their chair laughing if you sent them a copy for publication. :)

Btw, my Kodak Cameras were rated for 50 feet and good for 60. I took one of them to 78 feet with no issues. The rule is that disposable cameras take disposable pictures.... which beat no pictures. Amusingly, nobody made fun of my camera or knocked it. One DM pointed out that at least I would have pictures.

Personally, I'd take it --but---that's just me......let us know the outcome......

Best answer to me is ask your instructor. If it's a small group, good conditions, it may be OK, whereas other situations may change that. Plus, your instructor may have a preference against it, every instructor is different.

I took a little cheap one on my last checkout dive after talking to my instructor. I was the only one in the class though. He took the camera and took a couple pictures for me (like me going through a swim through). It was nice to have a little show and tell for the wife and kids when I got back of what I'd done.

Personally, I wasn't comfortable taking a camera down with me until I got to around 30 dives. This is when handling tasks like buoyancy and navigation began to become more intuitive. Like others said, I think it comes down to comfort level. I've been on trips where I won't take a camera down until I've gotten in a least one dive to familiarize myself with the conditions. I also make a point to ask DMs what conditions can be expected. If it's been a month or so since my last dive, my first time diving again I generally won't bring a camera. Ensuring my gear's dialed in, I can handle the conditions and safely make the dive are more important than getting the "killer shot" to me.

Best answer to me is ask your instructor. If it's a small group, good conditions, it may be OK, whereas other situations may change that. Plus, your instructor may have a preference against it, every instructor is different.

I took a little cheap one on my last checkout dive after talking to my instructor. I was the only one in the class though. He took the camera and took a couple pictures for me (like me going through a swim through). It was nice to have a little show and tell for the wife and kids when I got back of what I'd done.

I think the OP already has his certification. I don't think a checkout dive for OW certification is anywhere to be messing with a camera. Too much going on.

However, I went back an re-read the post and the only tidbit I would add is that a good photo seems to hinge on having a strobe. So as long as you understand that the pics may be disappointing if you are deeper than about 20 feet.... you have the right idea in your post. Clip the camera to your BC and use it when it's convenient but not in the way. Chances are you and your wife will really enjoy the pictures and it will give you something to show friends. I know when I show my "crappy" pictures to my non-dive friends they are still amazed and interested. That makes it more fun for me even if the pictures sucked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom