New Diver - SCUBA options around Ft. Lauderdale Nov 26, 27 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I will be in Fl and want to SCUBA with my buddy on Nov 26 and/or 27, 2013. We are both PADI Open Water certified (in Maryland, June 2013) and this will be our first trully open water experience.

It seems the weather will not be ideal. One option is to do the Blue Herron Bridge dive (high tide at 2:16PM on the 26th and 3:11pm on the 27th - best to dive 1-.5 hrs before and after the tide). The other is to hope for decent seas and go on a AM or PM 2-Tank dive.

Since we are new to this, any advice would be great.

Would prefer to stay around the Ft. Lauderdale area. We will be in Cape Canaveral (watching the launch of a satellite from within NASA) on the 25th, and hopefully will leave in the morning of the 26th. We are also going to need to be in Cape Coral (Ft. Meyers) on the 28-29.

I have contacted a few dive centers and am getting some info from them as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Myron

plenty of shore diving in the Ft Lauderdale Area -- Lauderdale by the Sea has easy access and lots to see on the reefs.. 20' depths & lots of sealife.
otherwise i'd recommend a shallow wreck & reef 2 tank dive.

renting EQ or no?

the bridge & Datura Ave you have the chance meet some of the other SB members since both spots are popular.. but there are NO lobster in Ft Lauderdale :wink:

We will be renting. We have our own fins, booties, mask and snorkel. Should we just rent all and not bother packing these?

any recommendation for shops? Force-E?

myron

I like Gold Coast myself --- and they do book trips for charters as well.. if you can spare the room & weight - bring your gear -- always more comfortable.

Hello Myron. Welcome to the bubbly world.

I’d suggest that you bring whatever gear you own. Mask/boots/fins/snorkel are not easy to rent and I assume that yours fit.

I’d also recommend that you make your fist dives from a local charter operation. Find one that will be able to supply all the rental gear that you need, and that understands that this will be your first foray as certified divers. Any responsible operator will be more than happy to ensure that your introduction to the area is safe, enjoyable, and rewarding.

Should you decide, (or should weather dictate,) that you must make a shore dive, know that you’ll need to purchase, (and display,) a float and flag. I don’t know of any shop that offers to rent them. While not a big deal, carrying a flag is a task that requires a bit of your attention, and you might prefer not to add this simple chore to your initial dives. You’ll likely be happier just looking around and getting to know a bit about the new environment.

Have fun and dive safely.

Hello, I got certified this August in open water. I want to use my thanksgiving break Nov 28-Dec 1st for my first dive. I do not have a buddy, or do not know much about where and how to find a group in Ft. Lauderdale area. I got all my equipment, except the tank. I am not willing to go deeper than 20 ft at this time, but just want to start doing some real dives. Can anyone suggest how to do this? Who to contact? There seem to be so many options in FL, so I am confused.

Myron, check out www.jupiterscubadiving.com great charter op with awesome crew and even more awesome diving. the Jupiter dives are a little deeper but has the probability of big sealife!

also visit my club Vero Beach Scuba Club on Facebook. some of our members may be diving.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom