New diver regulator set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

msbovary,

I see that post is from Jax Craigslist. If you're near Fernandina Beach you might wanna stop by The Scuba Station. They'll usually have used gear they're selling on consignment for locals and they're generally a steal. I got an Atomic B2 1st & 2nd stage with the matching Octo from there about six months ago for dirt cheap, like I practically stole it. So you may want to check them out if your in the area or anywhere close.

Good luck.

Thank you for offer! I did find a setup in my budget locally today, so I'm set for now. I would like to put together a pony tank setup in the future, maybe later spring, so I'll keep that in mind :)

I can set you up with good starter set for less.
-MK5 or MK10 1st stage
-G250 graphite 2nd
-G200b alternate 2nd
-Oceanic gauges
Those are rock solid regs that you honestly won't ever outgrow unless you just want something flashier. They will perform on par or better than any top of the line offered today.
I'll do $200 shipped for everything and throw in some lp hoses so all you have to do is service and dive.

I haven't been to Fernandina in a long time, though I get to Jax regularly! Didn't even know there was a scuba shop there, but will definitely check out their consignment. Holy cow, great deals! Sounds like where all seasonals drop off their nearly new equipment before heading back to Atlanta?! :wink:

msbovary,

I see that post is from Jax Craigslist. If you're near Fernandina Beach you might wanna stop by The Scuba Station. They'll usually have used gear they're selling on consignment for locals and they're generally a steal. I got an Atomic B2 1st & 2nd stage with the matching Octo from there about six months ago for dirt cheap, like I practically stole it. So you may want to check them out if your in the area or anywhere close.

Good luck.

Some suggestions:
1. Whatever you choose to purchase be sure that you are not buying somebody else's problem.
2. No matter what you purchase used, unless you have a receipt showing that it was recently serviced by an authorized technician have it serviced before you use it.
3. Educate yourself so that you're not buying somebody's antique that you can't find parts for anymore.
4. Balanced vs unbalanced.
5. Consider waiting until you can afford a new budget priced but good quality regulator. By the time you buy something used and have it serviced and pay for labor, overhaul kits, and replacement parts and/or hoses you may be close to the purchase price of a new regulator.
6. With a used old reg you may soon find that you have outgrown it.
7. Buyer beware. There is usually no warranty, support, or recourse for a used reg. Most are sold as is. The manufacturer's warranty is usually non-transferable.

The greatest problem with buying used off of craigslist or eBay is that you have to have knowledge of the gear you are buying, as I have experienced people describing and selling gear they have no knowledge of, or are actually deceptive. eBay has recourse, Craigslist does not, although you do see the gear firsthand.

If you can, find someone more knowledgeable about regs to look at them with you, or work with local shops to find used serviced gear to start. It may cost more upfront, but it can cost a lot to gain experience.

Bob

discountdivers.com sells a lot of all types of scuba gear, all categories, lots of photos of inventory. I've bought a number of used tanks from them, no problems, great service.

The greatest problem with buying used off of craigslist or eBay is that you have to have knowledge of the gear you are buying, as I have experienced people describing and selling gear they have no knowledge of, or are actually deceptive. eBay has recourse, Craigslist does not, although you do see the gear firsthand.

If you can, find someone more knowledgeable about regs to look at them with you, or work with local shops to find used serviced gear to start. It may cost more upfront, but it can cost a lot to gain experience.

Bob
f you can, find someone more knowledgeable about regs to look at them with you, or work with local shops to find used serviced gear to start. It may cost more upfront, but it can cost a lot to gain experience.

Bob[/QUOTE]

I had a guy come into the shop and ask me to check the new reg he just bought on Craigslist. I opened the first stage and there was nothing inside.
Don't buy anything from a non-reputable source that you can't return unless you can afford to lose whatever you spent on it.

Let the buyer beware

Arrange to meet the Craigslist person at the LDS or at a buddies place who has a tank, set the reg up and breathe it before paying. If you bought a car you'd take it around the block, no?

If it kinda breathes like a reg then you probably won't have too many issues, any shenanigans like Larry described will be quite obvious.

All that being said, with outfits like @Deep Six coming along I really am not sure that I would buy used regs again.

Used reg plus 4 years of services is easily more than a new D6 reg set, and the peace of mind of a new set with warranty?
Priceless.

Used reg plus 4 years of services is easily more than a new D6 reg set, and the peace of mind of a new set with warranty?
Priceless.

Except for me 4 services is more like 15-20 years. I buy used regs, service them myself once, and then use them for several years, service as necessary, which is not very often. Personally I could not care less about a warranty on regulators. Then again, I have considerable time invested in learning and a bit of money (a few hundred dollars) invested in tools and parts. It's not for everyone.

It is true that buying used regulators in an advantageous way requires some knowledge or someone assisting you that has some knowledge, or buying from someone who you trust.

I will pass. A few red flags. 1) the seller doens't know what he is selling. It is definitely an AL first stage, not Ti. This isn't a deal breaker on its own. 2) The fact that it is AL. it is not know to be a long lasting material/design combination. 3) G250HP also don't get the best reputation in the G250 family. 4) $300 is NOT a deal for this combo.

Back
Top Bottom