New diver regulator set up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flotsam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been watching classifieds/Craigslist for a 1st regulator set-up. Am hoping to find a full package with hoses/spg for under $300 (& missed any black friday deals).

This is on Craigslist for $300: This is the titanium Ultra Light version of the Scubapro MK20 first stage scuba regualtor with G250HP second stage primary regulator, R190 alternate second stage regulator, and 6000psi scubapro compact SPG. LP inflator hose is also included with this regulator. These regulators are in fantastic condition and ready for diving.
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/spo/5901453365.html

I will have to pay to have it checked out & any needed repairs, but is this a good deal & set up for a new diver?

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited:
I've been watching classifieds/Craigslist for a 1st regulator set-up. Am hoping to find a full package with hoses/spg for under $300 (& missed any black friday deals).

This is on Craigslist for $175: This is the titanium Ultra Light version of the Scubapro MK20 first stage scuba regualtor with G250HP second stage primary regulator, R190 alternate second stage regulator, and 6000psi scubapro compact SPG. LP inflator hose is also included with this regulator. These regulators are in fantastic condition and ready for diving.
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/spo/5901453365.html

I will have to pay to have it checked out & any needed repairs, but is this a good deal & set up for a new diver?

Thanks for your help :)
I would buy it, with service you'll probably end up a little over budget but worth it. I would also consider deep 6 especially if they will offer a Black Friday extension.

Corrected: it is $300 not $175!
With that difference, you're right the Deep 6 makes more sense & has a warranty, but thought I missed the deal. I'll ask :)

It's not titanium, It's an aluminum version of the MK20. It's a very high performance regulator but I'm not sure about the longevity of the aluminum body. Brass regulators last decades, why SP decided to make an AL version is anyone's guess. The 2nd stages are both fine. If the price is right, it's worth buying, as long as you get some assurance that there's nothing stripped or damaged in the AL MK20.

Edit: I see that the price is $300. That's right on the edge IMO; it is a complete set which is good, but there are lots of other choices. Maybe an older brass MK20 or a MK11?

I'll check with the seller - it's the UL version, but he says it is titanium, which doesn't make sense. And I forgot about the cracking issue :\

Maybe I'll offer a bit less & keep an eye out for another first stage

It's not titanium, It's an aluminum version of the MK20. It's a very high performance regulator but I'm not sure about the longevity of the aluminum body. Brass regulators last decades, why SP decided to make an AL version is anyone's guess. The 2nd stages are both fine. If the price is right, it's worth buying, as long as you get some assurance that there's nothing stripped or damaged in the AL MK20.

Edit: I see that the price is $300. That's right on the edge IMO; it is a complete set which is good, but there are lots of other choices. Maybe an older brass MK20 or a MK11?

Between the aluminum first stage, and the overly complex g250hp, I'd pass. There are better options imho. There is a guy selling a number of SP first and seconds here that would likely be better choices.

I'll check with the seller - it's the UL version, but he says it is titanium, which doesn't make sense. And I forgot about the cracking issue :\

Maybe I'll offer a bit less & keep an eye out for another first stage

The photo in the link you provided was definitely a MK20UL, made of aluminum. I don't know if SP ever made a titanium MK20.

I'm totally unqualified to answer your question, but my earlier thread on choosing my first regulator setup may help you. There is a guy on here selling new twin TX50's and there is an spg in the gauges classifieds you can get inexpensively. This is a solid setup if you dont want to go new.

I went with Deep6 - package arrives Monday...I've never wished the weekend would go by so quickly...I see the packages are back to full price. Maybe email them?

I can set you up with good starter set for less.
-MK5 or MK10 1st stage
-G250 graphite 2nd
-G200b alternate 2nd
-Oceanic gauges
Those are rock solid regs that you honestly won't ever outgrow unless you just want something flashier. They will perform on par or better than any top of the line offered today.
I'll do $200 shipped for everything and throw in some lp hoses so all you have to do is service and dive.

If you're not a Scubapro fanatic I also have a set of Conshelf 14's that would outlive you and me and everyone here (probably without truly even needing a service).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom