New diver regulator question/opinion...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TincupCPG

Reaction score
Hello all, I am fairly new to SCUBA and buying my own equipment for first time. I can't afford a new regulator at the moment but I have the opportunity of buying a

ScubaPro MK10, G200B with pressure and depth gauge w/timer (lcd) and a temp gauge. It also has a compass (sideview). I have a Scubapro Air 2 unit to go with it. It has been rebuilt, overhauled very recently. Asking price is $218.00
Obviously I will have my Dive Shop look at it to make sure all is cool...but what opinions do any of you have? Fair price? Good unit, etc? I have checked some, but couldn't find a whole lot of info on the MK10 G200B. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I live in Hawaii so I dive warm salt water 100% of the time. Which is the reason I guess I picked up the Air 2, no cavern, cave diving. Quite a few wrecks (duh) but I have no intention of going inside one of them.

Sounds like a good system and the price is not unreasonable considering that it was recently serviced and should be ready to dive. My only criticism would be the G200b rather than one of the scubapro balanced adjustable 2nds. The adjustment knob is real handy for dealing with minor performance problems. If you are still shopping, take a look at this very comperable ebay item. I tend to favor the metal 2nd as they perform just a well as the newer G250 and have a case that will survive much more abuse. Downside is they are noticably heavier on land but the difference is hardly noticable in the water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7110899367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I was thinking of going after that one myself but I'm afraid I have run out of excuses I can give my wife. Maybe not; it looks to be in excellent shape. I would expect service would run about $75.00.

awap:
Sounds like a good system and the price is not unreasonable considering that it was recently serviced and should be ready to dive. My only criticism would be the G200b rather than one of the scubapro balanced adjustable 2nds. The adjustment knob is real handy for dealing with minor performance problems. If you are still shopping, take a look at this very comperable ebay item. I tend to favor the metal 2nd as they perform just a well as the newer G250 and have a case that will survive much more abuse. Downside is they are noticably heavier on land but the difference is hardly noticable in the water.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7110899367&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I was thinking of going after that one myself but I'm afraid I have run out of excuses I can give my wife. Maybe not; it looks to be in excellent shape. I would expect service would run about $75.00.

Question for that one? Can I combine the metal 2nd with the Mk10 1st? If I can, i will try to grab that one. Or, even if I cannot switch...I can't tell what type of Regulator this is other than Scuba-Pro. As good or better than the original i was asking about?

The Mk 10 is one of the best first stages ever made and is one of the most frequently copied first stages.

The Mk 10 will work very well with one of Scubapro's metal second stages like the Adjustable or Balanced Adjustable and both these second stages were sold with the Mk 10 until the G250 came along. Both the Adjustable and Balanced Adjustable can be upgraded cheaply to use the same poppet assembly used in the G250HP, S550 and S600 and in that configuration they breathe as well as a G250 or S600 but without the dry mouth concerns.

The G200B is also a very good performer and if currrently serviced will use the same poppet as the S600, S550 and G250HP. It does not have an adjustment knob and as such is generally comparable to the S550. If you don't need the adjustment knob, it will do a nice job for you.

Thanks much for the help. I will go ahead and get that Ebay item suggested to me in an above post. Silly question, I realize that during an emergency ascent or low air ascent, having a scubapro air 2 could be an issue with breathing and adjusting BCD. Is it worth it to use it? Or just go with Oct?

TC

My wife thanks you - and she doesn't even know why. That 1st stage is an older Mk10. Differences between newer and older include metal "wingnut" vs. plastic handle on yoke screw and a recess around the ambient chamber vents. I believe the recess holds a cover to reduce the silicon leakage for cold water diving. Internal parts and function is unchanged.

I figure that item is a good buy at about $100.00. If I were going to bid on it, I would check a few minutes before it closed to make sure it had not exceeded my max price, and submit a bit for $101.01 (I like those odd values - no ties) in the last minute (actually, 15 seconds is my target) so the competition has no time to rethink their bids. If I lose, then someone just wanted it more than I did. Rigs like that show up fairly regularly.

BTW, Boogie's love affair with the air2 is not entirely neurotic (no offense intended). I use air2's but have considered switching to a std bungeed octo. The air2 is probably unsuitable for some types of diving (eg.; overhead). It's performance is quite similar to a SP R190. It does require a bit of practice to get used to head motion restrictions and bouyancy control. The latter is no problem with a SP BC with right shoulder dump. I stick with it mainly because I'm only interested in recreational diving and I often dive solo and with a pony (oops, that may set off other common neuroses). I try to use my air2 fairly often.

Meaning no disrespect to awap: I am no fan of the Air2 either. In my opinion, a backup second stage is safer for a new diver and the new diver's buddy.

OK. I will go with the advice here and try to grab that older MK10. And thanks for the price range. Tell your wife "She's Welcome"! Quite a few people here in Hawaii have said similar things about the Air 2, am starting to get feeling I should go ahead and get a backup second stage and then I always have the option. Hey BOOGIE711, wanna buy a brand new ScubaPro Air 2? lol. Thanks for the help everyone. Made my choices easier. There are 5 Japanese Zeros at 107 feet NW of Diamond Head that I am gonna dive saturday, hope to get some good pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom