New Diver - Newer Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no such thing as an "advanced" regulator. In some lines regulators vary based on performance with usually the middle of line providing the best mix of price/performance (Scubapro, Aqualung). In other lines they vary based on materials (Atomic, Apeks) or bells and whistles (Sherwood).

How I am referring to the S700 or B2 being "Advanced", a Scubapro R295 would be "basic". Perhaps it's just the semantics of my response, the advanced and basic descriptions would be better aimed at the diver and the diving to be attempted. Advanced was in quotes to attempt not infer some great technology improvement, but simply that it has additional features that a new, basic diver does not necessarily need. Those features generally cost more money, and may not ever be necessary for what the diver plans on doing in his or her diving career, if they even stick with it. I'm all for him buying titanium whiz-bang all the bells and whistles equipment, you see new listings and deals for that stuff two months later on Craigslist all the time, so that's better for us right?

How I am referring to the S700 or B2 being "Advanced", a Scubapro R295 would be "basic". Perhaps it's just the semantics of my response, the advanced and basic descriptions would be better aimed at the diver and the diving to be attempted. Advanced was in quotes to attempt not infer some great technology improvement, but simply that it has additional features that a new, basic diver does not necessarily need. Those features generally cost more money, and may not ever be necessary for what the diver plans on doing in his or her diving career, if they even stick with it. I'm all for him buying titanium whiz-bang all the bells and whistles equipment, you see new listings and deals for that stuff two months later on Craigslist all the time, so that's better for us right?

I disagree as I do not see the point of any diver purchasing a basic (entry-level, low-end, cheap) model only to need to upgrade latter. I don't recommend going in debt, but if cost is a major concern then buy used or look for closeouts. Even in shallow water an S700 will breath smoother than a R295. The additional features are balancing and adjustable second stages which both affect performance and are not gimmicks. Personally I would not purchase either of these models as I believe there are better values in regulators, for example Beaverdivers $399.00 specials but maybe the OP is getting a killer deal.

For our conditions here save your money and get MK17/G250V or mk17/S600 (the newer one - with metal barrel) A700 is a great reg and it's will work just as well as the other mentioned but go for it if you have money burning your pocket. As I wrote in my other posts - Atomic would be down the list for our conditions.

---------- Post added March 9th, 2013 at 07:13 AM ----------

SP has 2 year interval. I can hardly call Atomics second "a simple" :)

Really tough call. It is probably all personal preference. I like Atomic myself because the 2 year service interval, smaller/lower profile 1st stage. And I generally like Atomic 2nd stage better than SP 2nd stages for simplicity, smaller size. Also B2 has option to be sealed for colder water, although it isn't the best way to have a sealed regulator. Advantage to scubapro is if you travel a lot for diving, you will have much easier time finding Scubapro support worldwide. And I like the look of A700. Having that said, my travel/single tank reg is Atomic tho.

Yeah, my vote goes to Atomic.

I disagree as I do not see the point of any diver purchasing a basic (entry-level, low-end, cheap) model only to need to upgrade latter. I don't recommend going in debt, but if cost is a major concern then buy used or look for closeouts. Even in shallow water an S700 will breath smoother than a R295. The additional features are balancing and adjustable second stages which both affect performance and are not gimmicks. Personally I would not purchase either of these models as I believe there are better values in regulators, for example Beaverdivers $399.00 specials but maybe the OP is getting a killer deal.

I get where you are coming from. I am returning to diving after many years away. AL80's had just come out when I stopped before, there has been quite a few leaps and changes in technology since then. I'm trying to affordably get back in and learning about this stuff as well. In other I'm new to diving what regulator threads, the R295 was mentioned as a good starter reg, as well as renting to make sure you are going to stay with this. I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are people responding.

I am currently using my nostalgic choice of reg right now, a Conshelf XIV, just like I had back in the early 80's. While it works fine for me, I have been wondering if something newer, and more "advanced" :wink: , would serve me better when working hard like when heading into a strong current etc. The Conshelf set me back $105 total, that includes the rebuild.

Hi all!

Thank you so much for your responses- greatly appreciated. Price is not a factor in this situation, just wanted to know what you 'seasoned divers' thought of the 2 regs.

Thanks!

If the price is not a factor and ou do not plan to dive locally with surface temps below freezing - go with MK25/A700. The metal case of A700 makes a huge difference in remedying the cotton mouth.

Hi all!

Thank you so much for your responses- greatly appreciated. Price is not a factor in this situation, just wanted to know what you 'seasoned divers' thought of the 2 regs.

Thanks!

I get where you are coming from. I am returning to diving after many years away. AL80's had just come out when I stopped before, there has been quite a few leaps and changes in technology since then. I'm trying to affordably get back in and learning about this stuff as well. In other I'm new to diving what regulator threads, the R295 was mentioned as a good starter reg, as well as renting to make sure you are going to stay with this. I'm sure there are as many opinions on this as there are people responding.

I am currently using my nostalgic choice of reg right now, a Conshelf XIV, just like I had back in the early 80's. While it works fine for me, I have been wondering if something newer, and more "advanced" :wink: , would serve me better when working hard like when heading into a strong current etc. The Conshelf set me back $105 total, that includes the rebuild.

There is nothing wrong with diving older regulators like your Conshelf 14. The physics behind regulator performance are well understood and changes are more evolutionary than revolutionary. So a new advanced regulator will not be radically better than the model it replaces.

Dive companies are in the business to make money, because of this they make regulators to hit certain price points. There is not much difference in cost for them producing one model of regulator vs another. For example an R295 and R395 vary only by an adjustment lever, which probably costs less than a dollar difference, yet the price differential of these regulators are $40. Other manufacturers do the same thing. They borrow the terminology from other industries even though it is not really relevant for diving. For example, "entry level"; the ocean does not differentiate between "entry level" and "advanced" divers. The ocean is unpredictable and currents can change turning an entry level dive into an advanced one.

Yeah. I still dive a 1990 Mares all metal reg that I hate to give up but I can't get it serviced locally anymore. It breaths so easy and natural I don't know what it's like to have to work to breath like some comments I hear.

Yeah. I still dive a 1990 Mares all metal reg that I hate to give up but I can't get it serviced locally anymore. It breaths so easy and natural I don't know what it's like to have to work to breath like some comments I hear.

You may want to check out the DIY forum. It seems most second stages can be rebuilt using standard parts. First stages are more hit and miss. What have you got to lose besides your beloved regulator?

Hi All!
Thank you so much for all of your helpful feedback! I ended up going with an Atomic Aquatic B2 Sealed first stage (yoke) and a Z2 octo - got an AMAZING price match through LeisurePro.
Can't wait to try them out in the Keys this summer!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom