New Diver - Newer Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ctiffin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Scuba-ers!

I will be purchasing a regulator in 2 weeks and would like some help in making a decision.
The price is the same on both, so cost aside, which would you prefer and why?

ScubaPro MK25/A700 or the Atomic Aquatics B2 (possible with a ss1 octo. - thoughts on this?)

I will be diving primarily in warm weather but I am from Canada so there will be some colder weather dives in there too. It's ultimately between these 2 regs so please help a confused diver out.

Thanks!

Really tough call. It is probably all personal preference. I like Atomic myself because the 2 year service interval, smaller/lower profile 1st stage. And I generally like Atomic 2nd stage better than SP 2nd stages for simplicity, smaller size. Also B2 has option to be sealed for colder water, although it isn't the best way to have a sealed regulator. Advantage to scubapro is if you travel a lot for diving, you will have much easier time finding Scubapro support worldwide. And I like the look of A700. Having that said, my travel/single tank reg is Atomic tho.

Yeah, my vote goes to Atomic.

I agree both are very good regulators. Owning both polymer and chrome plated brass second stages, I prefer the durability of the metal second stage, so I would get the ScubaPro A700.

As has been previously said largely down to personal preference. Me I'd go the A700 because its all metal but would go the MK17 instead of the MK25 which is a sealed diaphragm reg so you'd be good regardless of water temperatures. I'd forgo the SS1 octo and buy a standard octo it eliminates possible hose issues and makes air sharing less cumbersome and if you go with scubapro anyway buy a scubapro octo as it can make servicing easier i.e same brand same shop. Breathing wise I would imagine you couldn't tell the difference between the two, both very high performing regs. Good luck.

Really tough call. It is probably all personal preference. I like Atomic myself because the 2 year service interval, .

Don't forget that even though it dosen't need to be rebuilt every year, the manufacturer recomends it gets inspected anually and retuned if needed. Personally I only dive Diaphragm 1st stages but between the 2 I'd go Atomic. (unless you ever plan on putting a full face mask on it)

Based on SP customer service alone, Atomic.

There is nothing wrong with buying good gear to last the long haul. If it wasn't for the fact that I am now an instructor and I keep my good gear out of the pool, my first reg would just collect dust. unlike my cheap reg I spent good money on my atom 2.0 (when it was brand new) and still use it today.

For being a new diver, why are you looking for such an "advanced" regulator already?

There is no such thing as an "advanced" regulator. In some lines regulators vary based on performance with usually the middle of line providing the best mix of price/performance (Scubapro, Aqualung). In other lines they vary based on materials (Atomic, Apeks) or bells and whistles (Sherwood).

Back
Top Bottom