New diver- New gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I am a new diver (only tried it once in the pool at my LDS) I haven't taken any classes yet. I don't want to start my class until I purchase my gear. That way I can learn the class work and my gear at the same time. The LDS has given me a quote of $2450 it is all aqualung gear. The BC is a pearl, suunto cobra dive computer, wet suit, hood, gloves, uncoated block weights, uncoated lead weights, snorkel, flag & float, 80 suf cylinder, plastic line holder with 75' line, mesh backpack, defog, boots 6.5 m, comfort strap, hose guard, 10 free fills, 7 ml neop john suit, 7 ml neop shorty, titan lx ads regulator, abs octo, scumball safe second holder, and mariner equipment bag. Plus OW class.

I am wondering if this is a good package or if we should should search for other gear. Also, is this a good brand for gear?

edit- I already have boots fins and mask I have been snorkeling for a few years. I know that I want to do it

Last edited:
Aqualung is generally decent gear. Hard to say if you'd get a good buy or not, since you didn't mention what kind of regulator you were looking at regulators can range from very inexpensive to "the sky's the limit".. I would look at the equipment that fits you best & is most comfortable, not just 1 manufacturer.

That said,.... Something I would suggest, is to wait on all but the basic equipement (Mask, fins, snorkel & boots) until you have a couple of classes under your belt. By then you should be introduced to the equipment what it is, what it does, what other options you may have & whether it will fit the kind of diving you are interested in. Better to buy it once, than to find you need to constantly need to upgrade. See if you can test some of the equipment out as you go through your class to see if it is reallythe best match for you. You may even find that diving is not for you. It would be terrible to make such an investment & find out that it is not something you really want to pursue.

Last edited:
STOP!

You need NO package right now. Buy the minimum - mask, snorkel, and fins. See if you like it. See if you pass the course. THEN buy either regs or a computer. Then consider more. I have it all, but I bought it slowly. If you believe that you are being pressured in any way to shell out more than $500 in equipment BEFORE you start the course, start running and don't look back.

You might find it interesting to benchmark your LDS packages against packages at leisurepro.com and scubatoys.com (and others).

I recently certified few months ago. By most account have only 10 OW dives since certification, and would still be considered a newbie. There is some merit to having and training your own gear for your OW classes, but since you don't have any experience it's hard for you to know what you need. You may buy a lot of expensive gear only to find out you really don't like it and want something different.

For starters you only need mask, fins, snorkel, gloves, and booties for OW classes. These are personal fit items that you don't want to rent.

Talk to your instructor to see if he or she has any opinions on equipment, and which brands are good. Scubaboard is excellent place to get all sorts of opinions about gear, just keep in mind they are personal opinions and you may feel differently after few dives. Dive clubs are another great way to get dive buddies and experience. Ask the members what type of gear they have.

Next items after few dives is either BC or regulator. I would vote for BC as this is another personal fit item. Not sure If the Pearl BC is a jacket or back inflate. Most rentals tend to be jacket style, but most divers heare would go for either back inflate or back plate with wing (this a subject for another thread!). Some would say regulator is more important since this is arguably the most important item to keep you alive under water. Some divers prefer knowing their own erg and it's service record

I personally sprang for good 7 mm wetsuit for cold water dives here in So Cal waters, but will need get 3 mm for tropical diving. I did want my own wetsuit over rental, they make sink the stink shampoos for a reason!

After all the above you can add the dive computer. You really want to get a few dives in first to decide if you like hose mount, wrist mount, or wrist with air integration. Again, scubaboard will give you more than enough opinions which is preferred.

Sorry if little long, but would definitely wait for few dives to decide what you need. Ask the LDS to give you a discount on the gear as part of the class on gear you want to buy after you are certified. If they truly want to give you a deal then they will still give you a package deal. If they just want to take your money then they won't work with you.

Good luck and safe diving.

Don't buy everything now. It's just not a smart thing to do.

As tstormdiver mentioned, what happens if you get certified but then find out that diving just isn't for you?
What happens if you become more interested in another expensive hobby?
What happens if you find out that you have a medical issue that prevents you from diving?

Even if you do end up getting involved in scuba diving more seriously, I guarantee that at some point you'll look at that pile of stuff...and wish you had bought something different. Right now you simply don't know what works, what doesn't work, and what you really like. It's that simple.

2450 $$....don't do unless you are so rich that the money doesn't matter.
New Diver are something like Santa Claus for a Dive Shop.
First buy a mask and a snorkel. If you are happy with some fins after diving several times with them, buy them. I bought fins that make my foot hurt.....don't make the same mistake. Boots you can buy before.
After a while a suit (people prefer to stay in their own pee, hahahaha)
Than after month regulator or computer or BCD (you can discuss which should be first).

The LDS I work out of will generally refuse to sell any students gear before they are certified. If you REALLY insist they will but they won't be happy selling it.
Try as much different rental gear as you can and ask for opinions.

Regardless of whether you buy the gear before, during or after certification 2500 is very high for new gear for a new diver especially since many dive stores will discount a package when getting a cert. It is likely they are taking you for a ride. There are pros and cons to owning gear during training IMO and depends greatly on a divers overall budget and the rental gear options.

Sounds like you are as patient as I am. I wanted my own stuff soon after my cert. cause I wanted to shore dive etc. My dive shop was great in letting me buy their rental gear. I was familiar with it and it didn't cost a fortune. I got a used BCD, SPG and a Suunto Gekko Computer. The owner sold me her Legend LX Regulator and Octo. No matter how long you wait to buy, you're going to replace it. The only difference is, the more you spend on something the first time, the longer it takes you to justify replacing it!! Your shop should give you a student discount for your new purchaces. (Mask, fins, booties, wetsuit etc.)
Happy Diving!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom