New Diver needs equipment suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are going to dive NJ wrecks (I hear there are great dives there), then consider cold water gear such as an environmentally sealed reg (so it won't freeze up in very cold water - all regs work great in warm shallow tropical waters). Also go for a reg that has a balanced 1st and balanced 2nd stage (unbalanced regs breath harder at depth than balanced regs) since some of the wrecks are deep 100+ feet. Many wreck divers head in the technical diving training direction, so consider a backplate & wing system which is modular and changeable (ie. if you end up going doubles, etc.) A smaller wing is great for tropical where they use mostly light aluminum tanks with little or no exposure protection, but a larger wing with more lift in NJ where you dive with more exposure protection (& more lead) and probably heavier bigger steel tanks.

I recommend going out to some of your local dive sites just to see what the local divers use for gear (exposure protection, regs, etc.). Then you know what will work in your local environs. This is also where the folks in your LDSs can better advise you as they know the local dive conditions, what works there, and what doesn't. Once you've narrowed down your selections, don't hesitate to price shop with authorized on-line dealers so that you get full manufacturers warranties.

Lots of info right hear on Scubaboard. Just search and read old threads (there are treasures chests full of info here from seasoned SBers).

Happy Diving!

Thanks for the great advice!! I didn't think about trying it all on and everything at my LDS. Last time I was there I paid way to much for a mask and snorkel!! But we all learn with time....right!!

I guess I also need to do some more research on what equipment goes best with what type of diving....anyone have any suggestions on a place to read up on that??

Thanks for the response. I guess it is safe to say that since the XR2 is replacing the Atmos 2, then the XR2 should be just as good.

I really like my XR2.

So I have been looking into BP/W setups. Why is that setup considered better for diving wrecks than a traditional BCD?

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom