New Diver needs equipment suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

9supratt4

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am new to diving and I have been doing loads of research on equipment, but it is very hard to figure out what to get since there are SO many options!! I have it down to 2 set ups. I'd like comments and suggestions from some experienced divers out there....

Both Packages are from Joediveramerica.com.

The first set up is the Aeris Competition Package:

-Aeris Sport BCD w/weight integrated pockets.
-Aeris AT400 Regulator
-Aeris A1 Standard Octo
-Aeris XR2 Computer Console

The second set up is the 444 Mares Scuba Gear Package:

-Mares Vector Origin 1000 BCD
-Mares Rebel 2 Regulator
-Mares Rebel 2 Octo
-Mares Mission 3 Gauge Console
-Aeris XR1 Wrist Computer

Let me know what you think!! And I am open to other suggestions!!

i got the aeris comp package,,to me,,it works great for the price,,,,i did trade for the oceanic islander back inflate,,,rather than the jacket bc that comes with it,,I;m just a rec diver,just having fun,,,,,,,i am happy with it all,,but thats just me

Thanks Miller!!

I guess that I should add that the equipment would be used diving off the coast of NJ to a bunch of the wrecks. So it would have to handle cold water as well as deep water.

But it would also be used in tropical waters when on vacation.

What kind of diving interests you ? Is it wrecks, or coral reefs, or beautiful fish ?

Physique, age, future plans all influence & inform the equipment choices.

Additionally, you may want to wait, & learn more, before purchasing.

Help us to help you, and you'll find Scubaboard to be very helpful.

Aeris is first rate gear, highly recommended. The ION AT400 is a fantastic reg. I prefer the Atmos LX BCD over the Sport BCD.

What kind of diving interests you ? Is it wrecks, or coral reefs, or beautiful fish ?

Physique, age, future plans all influence & inform the equipment choices.

Additionally, you may want to wait, & learn more, before purchasing.

Help us to help you, and you'll find Scubaboard to be very helpful.

Well in NJ, the wrecks are of most interest!! But when traveling to the tropics, reefs and fish are the preferred.

I am trying to learn as much as I can!! Especially before spending all that money of equipment!! LOL

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Aeris is first rate gear, highly recommended. The ION AT400 is a fantastic reg. I prefer the Atmos LX BCD over the Sport BCD.

What is your reasoning behind the Atmos LX than the Sport?

Hi supratt, welcome to Scubaboard.

Before you purchase online, go visit as many LDS in your area as you can so you can touch, feel, try on, and ask questions so you can make an educated decision. Once you try them on, you might have a better idea of what you really want & are comfortable in vs. what looks good on-line. Do your online homework too. If you find the identical items cheaper online, don't hesiste to ask you LDS to pricematch. In this economy they might surprise you. Remember that you need to purchase brands that you can have serviced annually locally even if you don't purchase it from them. Also ask them about service rates & warranty work on their brands. You could find a good deal online only to find out you can't get it serviced conveniently or have to ship it off and wait 3 or more weeks to get it back.

And like Cardshark stated, think ahead to your future and invest wisely in your future growth so that you only purchase once. I had several students who were deteremined to buy right away entry-level inexpensive gear (nothing wrong with that) and now less than a year later have upgraded most of their gear (redundant spending) as they grew in different directions in the sport. Nothing wrong in waiting and buying one piece at a time to get the one best piece for you and your type of diving.

Happy Diving!

I use an Aeris Atmos 2 computer and like it. I have gotten really good service from them. Aeris xr2 is replacing the Atmos 2. Don't know anything about the other gear though. I am certain that you will get plenty of opinions, though.
Research the different gear setups as much as you can. The more you know, the better. Try diving some of the gear if possible. Good luck!!

:popcorn:

Hi supratt, welcome to Scubaboard.

Before you purchase online, go visit as many LDS in your area as you can so you can touch, feel, try on, and ask questions so you can make an educated decision. Once you try them on, you might have a better idea of what you really want & are comfortable in vs. what looks good on-line. Do your online homework too. If you find the identical items cheaper online, don't hesiste to ask you LDS to pricematch. In this economy they might surprise you. Remember that you need to purchase brands that you can have serviced annually locally even if you don't purchase it from them. Also ask them about service rates & warranty work on their brands. You could find a good deal online only to find out you can't get it serviced conveniently or have to ship it off and wait 3 or more weeks to get it back.

And like Cardshark stated, think ahead to your future and invest wisely in your future growth so that you only purchase once. I had several students who were deteremined to buy right away entry-level inexpensive gear (nothing wrong with that) and now less than a year later have upgraded most of their gear (redundant spending) as they grew in different directions in the sport. Nothing wrong in waiting and buying one piece at a time to get the one best piece for you and your type of diving.

Happy Diving!

Thanks for the great advice!! I didn't think about trying it all on and everything at my LDS. Last time I was there I paid way to much for a mask and snorkel!! But we all learn with time....right!!

I guess I also need to do some more research on what equipment goes best with what type of diving....anyone have any suggestions on a place to read up on that??

I use an Aeris Atmos 2 computer and like it. I have gotten really good service from them. Aeris xr2 is replacing the Atmos 2. Don't know anything about the other gear though. I am certain that you will get plenty of opinions, though.
Research the different gear setups as much as you can. The more you know, the better. Try diving some of the gear if possible. Good luck!!

:popcorn:

Thanks for the response. I guess it is safe to say that since the XR2 is replacing the Atmos 2, then the XR2 should be just as good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom