New Diver - Need Equipment Info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MNDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
I am and new diver, and loving it! I live in MN and will do many dives in MN and WI lakes. However, I travel often and will likely do a fair amount of warm water diving (FL and Caribbean). I currently own mask, fins, snorkel, boots and a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. I would like to purchase my own BC, Regs, gauges, computer, etc. However, I have no idea on what to look for. For instance, vest vs. back inflation BC? What is the difference? Also, is there a system/brand that will work adequately for both cold fresh water and warm salt water?

Looking for any and all insight!

Thanks,

MNDiverDan

Forgot this question...

Where is the best place to purchase? On-line vs local dive shop? Is there significant savings to be had on-line? If so what are some of the best sites?

Thx

MNDiverDan

Definately check out online. Most LDS's have to conceed that the internet has brought prices crashing down.

I would check out Leisure Pro, I just bough my octopus from them and it was cheaper for me to get it shipped to the UK plus pay import tax than it was anywhere near me!

Ed.

MNDiverDan:
I am and new diver, and loving it! I live in MN and will do many dives in MN and WI lakes. However, I travel often and will likely do a fair amount of warm water diving (FL and Caribbean). I currently own mask, fins, snorkel, boots and a 2 piece 7mm wetsuit. I would like to purchase my own BC, Regs, gauges, computer, etc. However, I have no idea on what to look for. For instance, vest vs. back inflation BC? What is the difference? Also, is there a system/brand that will work adequately for both cold fresh water and warm salt water?

Thanks,

MNDiverDan
In general, you need to try both a jacket and back inflate and decide for yourself. There are fans of both and for recreational diving, to recreational depths, both will work just fine. Some people don't like the squeeze around the middle that jackets impart. There are also advantages to weighting and trim when using a back inflate. Most any gear that is designed to be used in cold water, for example a high performance enviromentaly sealed regulator, will work just fine in warm water, be it fresh or salt. The same cannot be said for gear designed primarily for warm water. The cold water stuff will also cost more. The decision to purchase online or not is a continuing hot topic. I would suggest that you first do some research into exactly which pieces of gear you want. Use whatever means necessary- look at your nearest LDS, look at manufacturers web sites, talk to other divers. When you know exactly what you want it becomes easier to decide if you are being given a fair price. LeisurePro is about ther best single source for a very wide range of products. I rarely see another online site with lower prices. Remember that online prices will often be half of the retail price at the dive shops. Also know that now a lot of LDS's will come very close to matching LeisurePro prices (I've had some that beat their prices). In that regard, at least use the online sources as a reality check for prices. You are also in a better position to negotiate if you are being a complete unit: reg with octo, gauges and/or computer plus a BC. If you local shops won't play ball, consider also Scubatoys. I assume they carry a better variety than their web site shows. They also offer to match prices with other online retailers and they offer full manufacturer's warranties on what they sell. Another possibility, at least for BC's, is Triple-L. They sell factory direct and you could get a back inflate BC, like their Orion, delivered for about $150. Looks like the same BC sold by Poseidon for about $600 retail.

In regard to the choice of BCD's (Jacket vs. Back), I would recommend finding a local dive shop that has a pool. Try both in the water and see which you like the best. My LDS has been known to have customers in their pool for hours trying almost every BDC or regulator. Its a fairly costly investment, so make sure you are comfortable with it before buying.

I agree that the internet can save you $$ but it also has its limitations.

MNDiverDan:

Thanks,

MNDiverDan

I echo the advice to find an LDS with a pool or some way to get experience with multiple BC's and regs. You might try taking one setup for multiple dives in a lake over a weekend.

As to online vs. LDS......

As stated by others, you can save money, sometimes substantial money, buying online.

In the short term.

If you buy a reg setup online for $500 lets say, and it would have been $800 at your LDS. Wow, $300 savings!

Next year, when you need to have that reg serviced, are you going to send it back to the online vendor? Not!

You will probably take it to your LDS and will hear, "Sorry, there is no warranty. We will have to charge you for parts and labor. $100-$150".

If you buy a reg like most of us do, with the intent of it being critical life support and an investment for about 10 years, you will end up spending the initial $500 plus $100-$150 per year.

However, if you do buy from an authorized dealer, your annual maintenance will run around $25-$40. I have never had to pay a dime for maintenamce on my regs. Buy them from the same dealer for 15 years.

I buy some items online. But when it comes to big ticket items, I do the math for the short and long term.

Take some time to find out what you are most comfortable with. Most LDS's are willing to work with people, but hey want to know it is worth their time and effort also. It has to be a two way street.

If you decide you want to look at buying Aqualung/SeaQuest, let me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom