New Diver Looking to Buy Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone - I recently completed my OW certification. During my training, I was very uncomfortable with my rental equipment so I am now considering purchasing my own BCD, regulator, wetsuit and dive computer. Looking for advice on what to look for in each of these items as I have no clue where to start! Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
-Mariem-

congratulations, first and foremost... visit your local dive shop. if you got certified abroad, look for a local shop in the area you live. they will be able to customize a total dive system that will meet your needs. if you are on a limited budget, think about your rental gear and what you wished felt a little better and start with that item. always buy a little better and for the future. you may not think you'll ever do cold water diving, but a regulator that can dive in colder water is nice to have. buy a computer that can do nitrox and has the other features you like... (i.e. large screen, etc.)

comfort is the most important, so if you don't have your own thermal protection, in my opinion, is the best place to start. there is nothing like being warm and being in a great fitting wetsuit or drysuit. henderson "hyperstrech" is awesome! i like aqualung, apex, scubapro, and dive rite systems....

there is so many options that it's difficult to be more specific here, but you can email me...

cheers!

--carlos

I'd recommend that you give a BP/W (backplate and wing) BC a try. You generally get a better horizontal position than with a jacket style BCD. The only down side, or at least the main one I have experienced, is that the weight integration is quite limited. You only have two pockets, and if you're like me and don't like wearing a weight belt, it's not enough weight integration. I'm diving with a dry suit.

DUI's Weight and Trim (Classic) can be a good solution here.

Halcyon wings are very nice in that they are completely adjustable via the straps. There is no M, L, XL, XXL, etc, so it will fit perfectly for you.

I think that many dive shops have a Halcyon rental program. Give it a try before you decide to purchase a BCD. If you tell your local dive center you're in the market to buy, they may even let you rent it for free! :)

Thanks Carlos & Oliver for your guidance! Im going to a diver's market next weekend and hoping to find some good deals on gear there.

Hi Mariem 2001

I don’t know your budget but if you buy too cheap then I’m afraid you will regret that later.

This is the sequence I propose you buy your equipment. First you should buy the wetsuit(s), then your dive computer, then your regulator and finally the BCD.

Wetsuit. You may need more than one wetsuit, depending on where you dive. One type which is easy to get in and out is a Longjane (Farmerjane) and then combine this with a rash guard of the necessary thickness. Even if it is warm (tropical water) you dive in I suggest you go for full suit not shorties, this is to give protection against scratches, jelly fish.

Dive Computer. Get a wrist mounted computer, that does not interfere with other equipment , do not dangle and saves the weight and inconvenience of a console. Buy a computer which can be used for nitrox (21-50%), and which can store data for +100 dives. At the same time you should consider a wrist mounted compass.

Regulator. Even though you as OW should only dive to 18m (60ft) then get a regulator suitable for deep diving i.e. a regulator with diaphragm valves for both first and second stage and go for a second stage with diver adjustable inhalation effort. Get a simple downstream regulator as octopus, and a light SPG. It makes a big difference using regulators with diaphragm valves as opposed to simple downstream reg’s.

BCD. Get a BCD with integrated weights and two large utility pockets and plenty of D-rings. Use quick clip straps to attach your SPG, octopus and don’t forget to buy a whistle and attach it to the BCD.

Of other equipment you should consider:

Weight belt. You should consider a weight belt with pockets; it is easy to adjust your weighting and the belt is comfortable and does not nagger your hips.

Dive Bag. You also need a bag. Buy a large size +130 litre; you will need that in the time to come.

The brands you go for is your choice.

Im looking at buying a dive computer very soon. I am debating between the Mares Icon HD and the ScubaPro Galileo Sol. For the Mares, I am concerned about battery life...for the ScubaPro, I am concerned about the backlight being too dim to view in murky waters or at night. Any advice on these two?

I really like how the Sol provides the ability for tracking a buddy's air pressure. Not sure if the Mares one has that funcationality yet or not.

Where are you in Texas?

The best advice I think I could give you is to find som really experienced buddy / mentor and let them help you through the thought process behind selecting your gear and making sure you get good prices for it.

Dive Shops can sometime put their wants ahead of your wants and you can spend way too much money on stuff that you might regret in a couple of years once you know more.

Im looking at buying a dive computer very soon. I am debating between the Mares Icon HD and the ScubaPro Galileo Sol. For the Mares, I am concerned about battery life...for the ScubaPro, I am concerned about the backlight being too dim to view in murky waters or at night. Any advice on these two?

I really like how the Sol provides the ability for tracking a buddy's air pressure. Not sure if the Mares one has that funcationality yet or not.

The Sol and for that matter the Luna will allow you to track a buddy's gas, but only if you equip them with a compatible transmitter. Not practical for the casual buddy and keeping track of your buddy's gas with hand and light signals is so easy that I am not sure it is worth the trouble. I just purchased a Luna and have only used it once on a day dive. I found it easy to use and very readable. The electronic compass is great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom