New Diver looking for a exposure suit advice for Cabo Pulmo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

House Gecko

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for a exposure suit for Cabo Pulmo during the week of Halloween. I am a big guy 6'4" 250lbs and I often have trouble finding things that fit me. It is my thought to bring my own suit to avoid ending up not being able to find something to rent that fits me. The problem is I do not know what the right suit for Cabo Pulmo is at the end of October.

Some of the suggestions I have got from the local dive shops in the San Francisco Bay area are:
3/2mm full suit
3mm short suit
2mm short suit
dive skin
short suit + Dive skin

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi House gecko - I live North of you - up towards Mendocino. Going to Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve? End of October - the Sea of Cortez is still warm. You are a big guy and probably will not get cold. I would go with the 3/2mm full wet suit. Remember, a dive skin offers no thermal protection - just UV and keeping 'itchies' off ya. You will find that you will use that 3/2 wetsuit a lot on future dives.

I dive tropical waters quite a bit (I am warm water spoiled). I use a 3mm or a 5mm - depending on where and when. Hope this helps ya.

Scuba Bumlet - Thanks for the advice.

I found a number for Cabo Pulmo Beach Resort and and spoke with one of the Dive Shop operators who told me that the water is warm. Most people are using shorties or skins. Many are diving in just a bathing suit and are fine. She also assured me that they have both shoties and full suits in my size for rent. I guess I will not put any more thought into this until I get there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom