New diver in south east Wisconsin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lake Nagawicka is busy as are a lot of lakes. Weekdays are your best bet which is why a lot of dive shops have their fun dives during the week.

We like to dive Elkhart Lake in Sheboygan County on Sunday since there are no motors allowed on Sundays. We either dive from the boat launch or firmans park. Crystal Lake in Sheboygan county is the same.

Green lake is a great place to dive but boat traffic is horrible as well.

Wazee is our favorite place to dive. The three-hour drive is worth it. My wife and I will likely be at Wazee on July 4th.

Underwater Connection in Menominee falls has the following fun dives planned,

Lake Ellen, July 8th
Oconomowoc Lake Aug 12
Green Lake Sep 16
Pewaukee Lake Oct 14

If you want to take a drive, west point dive park is a nice place to dive. It is just outside redgranite and is run by mountain bay scuba. It does cost a little to enter on weekends. Just give the shop a call to make sure they are out there.

Does anyone dive in Geneva

I have not been there but I read and heard there are a lot of rules for scuba diving Lake Geneva. Here is the ordinance from Willams Bay. No shore diving is allowed.

(7) SKIN DIVING AND SWIMMING; SCUBA DIVING AND SWIMMING; SKIN FISHING.

(a) Subsurface Activities.

1. In the interest and protection of the public health, safety and general welfare, the Village Board deems the area comprising Geneva Lake north of a line drawn from the most southerly point of Conference Point on the west and the most southerly point of Cedar Point on the east and the Village Board of Fontana-on-Geneva Lake deems the area comprising such lake west of a line drawn from the north line of Belvidere Park on the north shore and the eastern edge of the public road east of the Club Unique Subdivision on the south shore in the Village and the City Council of Lake Geneva deems the area of Geneva Bay from Geneva Bay Estates east to the lakefront of the Somerset Condominium Association as being highly congested and hazardous for all kinds of water traffic, especially motor-powered watercraft of all kinds, sailboats, water skiers and fishermen and subsurface activities are especially dangerous in such areas because persons engaged in such activities cannot be seen by observers on the surface of the water.

2. All skin and other underwater diving and swimming used or performed with self-contained, underwater breathing apparatus (SCUBA diving) or similar devices are hereby forbidden during the period from May 20 to September 15 of each year within the above described areas, except to recover personal property, bodies and to examine the bottom of the lake for some public authority and then only after making application for and receiving permission from the Water Safety Patrol in writing.

(b) Registration Required. No person shall engage in underwater diving and swimming with self-contained under water breathing apparatus without first having registered and been issued a permit card provided by the Water Safety Patrol.

(c) Unassisted SCUBA Diving Prohibited. No person shall SCUBA dive underwater, unless assisted by another competent, properly equipped SCUBA diver. (d) Boat Required. A SCUBA diver shall be accompanied when in the water by a boat equipped with an approved dive flag as provided in §30.70, Wis. Stats. The boat shall be anchored and shall be manned by a competent person.

(e) SCUBA Diving Areas Restricted. No person shall SCUBA dive at any of the public beaches nor shall SCUBA diving be done in such a way as to interfere with fishermen and their lines or with boats and their anchors.

(f) Prohibited Areas. Restricted areas on the lake other than those above designated may be out of bounds for SCUBA divers as determined by the Water Safety Patrol. These areas shall be properly marked and designated.

(g) Recovered Articles. All SCUBA divers and other users of Geneva Lake who find articles of any value on the bottom of the lake shall deliver them to the Water Safety Patrol for return to their proper owners and, if such owners cannot be found, then for disposal according to law.

(h) Hours. SCUBA diving is forbidden between the hours of sunset and sunrise, unless for some emergency and then only if properly authorized as above provided.

I have not been there but I read and heard there are a lot of rules for scuba diving Lake Geneva. Here is the ordinance from Willams Bay.

Wow. AFAIK on Devil's you're not allowed to use beaches or boat ramps when shore diving; if you don't shell out for WI parks permit that leaves you with like 2 places where you can get in the water. Without having to hike 20 minutes from where you parked. But I don't think there's more than that.

Back
Top Bottom