New diver in Brooklyn, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$4k on a DRYsuit. I’ve not spent that much on a light...yet. Look up DUI FLX Extreme. That’s what @formernuke and I both have - purple flames! :D

What computer did you get?

@Salamandra

I started diving 2008 as a college student living off a GI bill.

The 4k is a very high end DRYSUIT, much different than wetsuit.

The above mentioned light is mainly for technical and cave diving.

Due to life I don't travel much I went to Roatan in 2010 other than that I'm a local diver. I'm going to Florida in June but I have a place to stay which massively cuts cost. So instead of spending money on trips I save it for local diving and I can save for expensive gear and advancing into pro level and then technically diving.

That's why I asked if you wanted to be local or travel, if local warm weather or year around as it effects gear choices and to best budget on tight funds. You will be surprised on the occupation of a lot of us.

See if there are any local divers you can split gas cost with for local diving when it warms up. It is drysuit season still here in the northeast.

@doctormike @Marie13 and myself as I was in the shower it donned on me we are sticker shocking this poor guy. It's like taking a 16 year old who just got there license and showing them our new Cadillac's. I'm guilty of it too.

@Salamandra first figure out what kind of diver you want to be. A lot of divers in NE are only warm water destinations divers, others only warm months very few of us actually dive year round. This makes a big difference in preferences.

For example in my drysuit with winter undergarments with a steel 100 tank and my steel backplate I need about 26 pounds of lead. Remove the steel tank at about 6 pounds, switch to regular BC add another 6. That's why I use steel tanks and steel backplate. Switch to a 3mm and I likely won't need any lead (I'll let you know in June).

@Patrick Star another new diver posted that he planned on year around diving up here in NE and asked about exposure protection, we universally said drysuit.

Don't fret relax don't buy anything else for now, try local and see if that's what you want or if you want to stay destination only. Either way it's fun and enjoyable.

@formernuke

As I said, all depends on priorities. If diving is important enough to you, you’ll eat PB&J for lunch and cut out other stuff. Put your money where your mouth is. You’ll make it happen if it’s a high priority. If not, then maybe you dive once a year on a trip.

I make significant sacrifices to dive as I do. I’m pretty frugal. People who think I’m rolling in dough don’t see the underlying sacrifices.

@formernuke

As I said, all depends on priorities. If diving is important enough to you, you’ll eat PB&J for lunch and cut out other stuff. Put your money where your mouth is. You’ll make it happen if it’s a high priority. If not, then maybe you dive once a year on a trip.

I make significant sacrifices to dive as I do. I’m pretty frugal. People who think I’m rolling in dough don’t see the underlying sacrifices.

I made the same choice.

And I am about to...

First off...Welcome from Brooklyn, NY! (Wait, that sounds familiar). I am down by Coney Island next to the beach/boardwalk. I'm always interested in connecting with fellow divers in the area. I normally travel for diving but if it's anything local, I'll do Dutch Springs in Pa.; Jersey Shore or LI for some good wreck diving. I actually also work for a dive shop in Manhattan by Union Square called Scuba Network is you ever wanna drop by and hang out and chat.

I know someone mentioned the volunteer dive team down at the aquarium (walking distance from me) but someone who works at the shop with me also works for WCS and is on said team. It was her understanding that they are no longer taking new members as they've had to cut down on people. I could be wrong. Either way, I hope to see you around and do some diving together

@doctormike @Marie13 and myself as I was in the shower it donned on me we are sticker shocking this poor guy. It's like taking a 16 year old who just got there license and showing them our new Cadillac's. I'm guilty of it too.

@Salamandra first figure out what kind of diver you want to be. A lot of divers in NE are only warm water destinations divers, others only warm months very few of us actually dive year round. This makes a big difference in preferences.

For example in my drysuit with winter undergarments with a steel 100 tank and my steel backplate I need about 26 pounds of lead. Remove the steel tank at about 6 pounds, switch to regular BC add another 6. That's why I use steel tanks and steel backplate. Switch to a 3mm and I likely won't need any lead (I'll let you know in June).

@Patrick Star another new diver posted that he planned on year around diving up here in NE and asked about exposure protection, we universally said drysuit.

Don't fret relax don't buy anything else for now, try local and see if that's what you want or if you want to stay destination only. Either way it's fun and enjoyable.

OP is a she (not a guy) with 0-24 dives. Best advice is from Mike to join the Sea Gypsies. Good bunch of people who won’t advise the Doria in a drysuit on trimix for her next dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom