New diver in Atlanta from Thailand!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for your warm welcome! Do you have any recommended quarries in Knoxville? It'd be great if those are not too cold as I don't have a dry suit :(
As far as near Knoxville, I prefer Philadelphia Quarry over Loch Low Minn, but both have thermoclines that even when 80 degrees or more on the surface they can be quite chilly on the bottom. I'm not a drysuit diver either, so normally I wear a 5mm and sometimes a 3mm vest on top, and I'll try to limit my time at the coldest/deepest parts and go up a bit where it is warmer. Generally the quarries around here aren't warm enough for me until around June, perhaps a little before -- then stay warm enough for me through about October usually.

About 2 hours north/northeast of Knoxville, near Bristol/Johnson City, Gray Quarry has aerators that circulate the water and virtually eliminate any thermoclines -- so the water on bottom is basically within a degree or two of the water on top. Makes for nice dives, and I often think it is worth the drive, but would be a bit of a long haul for you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom