New diver going to Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcdehli

New
Reaction score
Hi I am a brand new diver. The only dive I have done since my OW was in the Living Seas tank at Epoct (WDW). This was in September. I am heading to to Xcaret Mexico. Will be there from 3/5-3/12/08. I believe it is considered part of Playa del Carmen. I also will be diving by myself :(, no dive buddy. I'm looking to do some reef diving, just to get my feet wet. I think for a beginner I have very good buoyancy control. Could I expect to be able to do a cenote dive while there? Could any one recommend a dive shop or dive master to go to. I don't have any gear except my mask, fins ect. Should I rent them at home and drag them down, or rent them down there.
Thanks a bunch

Hi I am a brand new diver. The only dive I have done since my OW was in the Living Seas tank at Epoct (WDW). This was in September. I am heading to to Xcaret Mexico. Will be there from 3/5-3/12/08. I believe it is considered part of Playa del Carmen. I also will be diving by myself :(, no dive buddy. I'm looking to do some reef diving, just to get my feet wet. I think for a beginner I have very good buoyancy control. Could I expect to be able to do a cenote dive while there? Could any one recommend a dive shop or dive master to go to. I don't have any gear except my mask, fins ect. Should I rent them at home and drag them down, or rent them down there.
Thanks a bunch

First, welcome to Scubaboard. Xcaret is about 5-10 minutes south of Playa. Personally, I would rent the gear there rather than packing it down with me. On our next trip we are only taking our masks and snorkels since we only plan on a couple of dives.

Here are a couple of links that may help you,

Playa del Carmen, Mexico's Virtual Guide Book : Playa.Info
Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park Yucatan Mexico Riviera Maya
Can-Do Maps and travel guides
Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Rent A Car | Rent a Car In Cancun

Cenotes, you will at least need a full 3mm suit, expect to move very slowly for about 45 minutes to an hour. I am sure that the hotel you are staying with in Xcaret will have its own dive operation. That will be the most convenient for you. One guy I like in Playa is Paulo at Geofish Dive in Playa del Carmen - Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, PADI Dive Instruction and Kiteboarding. Do a couple of dive with him and ask if your skills are good enough.

Thanks a bunch

Like you my first dives were in PDC. I dove with Tank Ha (I have also used them every trip since and will be there this coming week.). I did my first three days with them then headed over to Coz for a day then back to Tank Ha for theCenote dive. Which I saved for the last dive of the week for a few reasons. First I wanted to work on my bouyancy through out the week before attempting the Cenote's. Which was lucky I did because I had an inflator faliure on my first Cenote dive and had to keep dumping air (slow leak) into the wing but because I was comfortable enough with the weeks worth of diving it was really no problem. I don't think I could have done as well if that had been one of my first dives. Second, the clear fresh water is a good way to get the gear good and flushed out after a week of salt water.

There is always a bunch of single divers hanging around looking for a buddy so you shouldn't have a problem with that. You will have a great time there the diving is really geared towards what your looking to do.

Regards

Although I know people do it, and I highly recommend the cenotes for divers with the experience and composure to be safe there, I would NOT recommend diving in any overhead environment for somebody just out of OW. But go have tons of fun on the reefs -- The water is warm and clear and there's a lot of life in it that you've never seen. Save the cenotes for a trip a year or two from now, when you have a much better sense of who you are underwater.

Welcome to the board, mcdehli. With your 8-month stint in Mexico, you will have plenty of chance to dive.... One dive-buddy will surface for sure...

give alvaro a shot at always diving- best da*n cave diver there.... door to door service!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom