New Diver Going To Cabo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southbound

Reaction score
Ok I need some serious help here!!! I'm a new diver going to Cabo for the first time. This will be my first "REAL" dive apart from school. I'm going with a group of non-divers. Soooooo..... I'm trying to find which dive-op is the best. And how do I hook up with them if I'm not staying at a dive resort? I've looked into a couple places, "Amigos Del Mar" & "Underwater Diversions". Does anyone know anything about Underwater Diversions? Amigos del Mar seems to be having trouble telling me much and says I need to call their contact here in the US. Haven't tried contacting U.D. yet, but was considering them as they let nondivers go with you for $15. And I kind of like the idea of not wandering off alone away from the people I'm going with. I'm staying just south of San Jose del Cabo, and I'm not even sure how far that actually is from Cabo. Would appreciate any advice and feedback anyone can offer. I've been sifting through all the threads for the last two months, and I still feel like I'm in over my head trying to dive on this trip. :wacko:

I have been to both Cabo San Lucas and the East Cape. No matter what operation you choose, make sure they go to Cabo Pulmo or Iguana Beach. Cabo Pulmo is the protected reef in the Sea of Cortez. The East Cape is only a little further north of San Jose, than you if you travel south to Cabo San Lucas. Most all of the operations have guides that speak very good english and are very knowledgeable. Have fun and I wish I was going with you.

I dove Amigos Del Mar last May and had a great time. Nothing in Cabo looks like it does in the US, so don't expect rust free hardware and absolute neatness. That said, Amigos did a good job. Perhaps you are having a problem in getting a straight answer has to do with the weather and ocean conditions in December. In anticipation of a trip down in December, I asked Kevin Coulter, the owner of Amigos, about conditions in December. His answer was discouraging in that he allowed that visibilty was pretty poor and the water was cold. I decided not to take my stuff this trip.

You might try a direct e-mail to Kevin (sealion@cabotel.com.mx) if you have only gotten stuff from some of the go between folks.

Cabo Pulmo is questionable this time of year but Pepe says it is still OK. http://www.cabopulmo.com.mx/divereport/ Don't know if the Cabo shops are going up there now.

Cabo is not Cozemel, but can be fun. Have a good trip.

Cabo is, (as colonelchuck said,"Nothing in Cabo looks like it does in the US, so don't expect rust free hardware and absolute neatness." I too have used Amigos Del Mar which I picked out of an in-room directory. Most hotels have a dive shop in the lobby, so you can talk directly with the operation prior to committing. Boats are "rustic" but adaquate. If you're lucky you may get to dive with sea lions. I'm going to attach a photo below (hopefully) of some of the boats. Go, don't hesitate.

Yeah I've seen the pics of their dive boats. They make them out to be so great when they describe them, but sure don't look like much. I was wondering about that. Both places tell me I should make reservations a couple weeks in advance. Am I better off waiting until I get down there to book a trip? Thanks for the come back everyone, I really appreciate it!!! :type:

Don't let the look of the boats put you off. Amigos and some of the other shops do good work.

Good stuff:
The trip to the dive site will not be long enough for you to get bored, seasick or tired. Most diving is done right outside the harbor mouth. 10 min max from the dock - if you use an operator with a dock.
In December, you will likely not need a reservation. Shop around, go with the folks that seem to fit your experience and comfort level. Amigos is one of the larger operators and more likely to go every day. Some shops go when they get a load. You can check with your hotel, but you may be better off sticking your head into some of the shops around the harbor.
If you are there a week, you will be able to fit your diving into the best weather.
The people down there are great.

As was mentioned above you probably need not worry about the boat which will probably be a panga. Most of the diving is quite close. There are some advanced dives further out but they are probably unlikely this time of year. I have used Lands End Divers located at the marina in Plaza Las Glorias hotel in downtown Cabo. They were reasonably priced, friendly and competent. Sounds like your biggest chore is going to be the ride to Cabo. Taxis are pricey so see if the dive shop will pick you up for free. Pretty decent night dive at a wash rock just outside the marina.They made a pretty big deal out of the sand falls but they were pathetic.

I'm not sure about East Cape but Cabo Pulmo is a long very bumpy ride. Diving just outside Marina should be suitable for novice. Don't forget to tell them about your experience so they wont take you somewhere you dont belong. No need for family members on boat as you will probably be barely out of sight of Marina. I'm not sure if they can go along and snorkel.

Have fun and dive!

http://www.mexonline.com/landsend.htm

Brian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom