New diver: gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, yes. My mind jumped right over the most reasonable conclusion. Thanks all.
In a somewhat related note, I recently came across my original naui certificate from 1974 for my "Basic" certification. I'm going to apply to naui for a replacement card, MIA for about 35 years. Up to this point naui has been unable to verify my cert through the normal name/ birth date search routine. I don't really need the card, but it will be nice to add it to my equally arcane naui "Sport Diver" card from 1977 and the ever popular padi OW 1996. After all that time and over 500 dives I can only marvel at those collecting their "Master Diver" with 50 dives and a $2,000. donation.
Maybe they'll offer me an honorary AOW posthumously? One can only hope.

Where I work it's called honoris causa and doesn't have to be posthumous. Of course there's the anecdote about Jean Michel Cousteau floating around this board...

I agree with tbone, I started out with scuba pro for my wife and I felt very comfy in the back inflate by edge. But now both my wife and I are in BPW, using HOG, Dive rite, regs my two kids have our MK25 A700s originally purchased which are awsome regs but way more money than you have to spend for decent regs IMHO. So don't equate brands with Top of the line, not to say that some brands are not top of the line in the materials they use but you just dont need to drop a fortune on gear. And if you can buy some decent used tanks, fins, and other gear if you feel its in good working order. I have about a 50/50 mix of new and used gear most of the used is like new. for less than half the cost. Welcome back have fun and safe dives.

oh and my wife swore she hated my back inflate bc by edge and loved here scuba pro top of the line but now she is also in a bpw and loves it.

As an Instructor, I've seen too many excited new divers make major gear purchases early in their training. They were sales-talked by their dive shop, and sadly, even their own instructors.

In many instances, It doesn't take long before they realize that they made a mistake. Buyers remorse sets in. They try to live with what they bought but they eventually break down and then make another purchase of what they should have bought in the first place.

I advice all of my new divers to do two things:

1. DO NOT buy a BCD, Regulator, Fins, and Computer until they get certified, dive with other divers, and have a few dives under their belt. It's ok to buy exposure suits and masks early in their training.

2. Rent/borrow a BPW, Long hose primary and necklaced backup reg setup, Jet Fins or variants (OMS Slipstreams, etc). Try them out.

Almost all of my students end up purchasing a DIR rig, only 2% still prefer a jacket BCD and recreational reg setup.

Buying BCD, Regs, Fins and a computer will cost a small fortune. These are purchases best made after the student complete training and has had the chance to try different gear and observe other divers.

It's not instant gratification but it'll save them money.

I really appreciate this post. All too often, instructors act as salesmen for the shops they teach for. Most shops teach certification courses for one reason: to create a market for their stuff. This can seriously compromise the quality of instruction.

It's like a car salesman who is in charge of handing out driver's licenses.

Ah, yes. My mind jumped right over the most reasonable conclusion. Thanks all.
In a somewhat related note, I recently came across my original naui certificate from 1974 for my "Basic" certification. I'm going to apply to naui for a replacement card, MIA for about 35 years. Up to this point naui has been unable to verify my cert through the normal name/ birth date search routine. I don't really need the card, but it will be nice to add it to my equally arcane naui "Sport Diver" card from 1977 and the ever popular padi OW 1996. After all that time and over 500 dives I can only marvel at those collecting their "Master Diver" with 50 dives and a $2,000. donation.
Maybe they'll offer me an honorary AOW posthumously? One can only hope.

I am not sure if you meant that you still have the c-cards from the 70's or not but if you do, don't lose them since they won't be replaced by NAUI. NAUI has changed the names of the courses and the c-cards and will only issue the new cards with the new names. It is very cool to have cards that old with the old names.

NAUI made a change to a computerized system at some point and didn't enter the old records from before the computer system. NAUI has no record of all of my certifications prior to my becoming a NAUI instructor in 1987. Nothing at all!!

Actually, I was lucky in that NAUI issued me a new Basic card to replace my original lost Basic card. I recently unearthed my paper certificate and submitted the replacement form with a copy of the certificate and requested information plus $36.00. Two weeks later I received my brand new 1974 card. They did change my certification number to another in the current format.

Yay! Another BAD (Born Again Diver) :)

I first cert'ed with NASDS back in 1978 IIRC.

I was dry for way over 15 years and then re-certified from scratch with my high school aged son. Doing the re-cert from scratch was the best idea ever. The technology has changed so much, and the practices, that it was worth it.

As for gear purchase order it was mask/fins/snorkel for initial training. Then a wetsuit and regulator (Atomic Z2) and computer as I was doing my next courses. Necklaced 2nd reg seems so natural and obvious, since that's the way our instructor started everyone. It's not completely a DIR setup but who cares, it makes sense to me. I finally found a BCD that I liked towards the end of my 3rd or 4th specialty class.

As most have said, there's no rush. Rent and try a LOT of options. What works for me or someone else (or even you) might not work for your wife. Within limits, gear setup is very personal and it's important that you are comfortable as well as safe.

I haven't drunk the BPW Koolaid yet, waiting to try one in the next month or so, so we'll see.

Yay! Another BAD (Born Again Diver) :)

I first cert'ed with NASDS back in 1978 IIRC.

I was dry for way over 15 years and then re-certified from scratch with my high school aged son. Doing the re-cert from scratch was the best idea ever. The technology has changed so much, and the practices, that it was worth it.

As for gear purchase order it was mask/fins/snorkel for initial training. Then a wetsuit and regulator (Atomic Z2) and computer as I was doing my next courses. Necklaced 2nd reg seems so natural and obvious, since that's the way our instructor started everyone. It's not completely a DIR setup but who cares, it makes sense to me. I finally found a BCD that I liked towards the end of my 3rd or 4th specialty class.

As most have said, there's no rush. Rent and try a LOT of options. What works for me or someone else (or even you) might not work for your wife. Within limits, gear setup is very personal and it's important that you are comfortable as well as safe.

I haven't drunk the BPW Koolaid yet, waiting to try one in the next month or so, so we'll see.
When you do, try to get someone that is experienced with using BP&W to assist you in trying it on and adjusting it. Having the straps the right length, the Drings in the right places etc makes a big difference to how it feels.

I couldn't get over how much more free I felt in the water - having used a jacket during my OW, it always felt like I was being squeezed by it when inflated whereas the BP&W (due to the bladder being on the other side of the plate) you feel the same at all times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom