New diver First dive vacation Where to go??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say Bonaire. Even though it is shore diving it's quite simple very little or no surf and very little or no current.

Continental flies there and I know they do dive packages so maybe you can book flight, all inclusive and diving in one package.

Cheers.

-J.-

Just starting out... I suggest you look for the calmest waters available. Cozumel is top notch but it's mostly drift diving. At some sites the current is ripping.

For calm waters I would recommend Grand Cayman, Belize, Bahamas, the Florida Keys and probably in that order. I've been to those and yet I'm sure there are lots more that fit the calm water category.

The liveaboard experience is great and when you add everything up it doesn't cost that much more either. Check out Nekton Cruises.

Google will find more packages than you can ever consider. Choose where you want to go first and then for packages in that area.

heatherohio:
My husband and I are waiting patiently waiting to complete our check out dives the first weekend in june. We are learning to dive in Ohio. No pretty reefs to check out, but looking forward to that day. We are looking for suggestions for some of the best tropical diving, carribbean, etc. LOCATION-wise, that will be good for us newbies. Also, we would gladly take recommendations for good vacation packages/outfitters for a dive trip to those destinations. Thanks for your responses!!!

Welcome to the board.
My top 2 would either Bonaire or Curacao. Both have easy diving and good places to eat. Bonaire if you want to eat/sleep/dive and Curacao if you want to e/s/d and have more topside activities.
The upper to middle Keys are also a good choice.
Where ever you go, I would suggest you NOT do all inclusive. Half of the fun is getting out and exploring for new places to eat. Breakfast is fine but leave the other meals to chance.
I am guessing but I would assume your time frame is late June to maybe Sept. Remember that is hurricane season though that part of the world so plan accordingly.
Here is a travel agent I have had good luck with over the last 5 yrs or so. They can do air/room/diving and the like for you in one package. www.caradonna.com

Oh and another great idea, Natasha off this board is running a trip to Bonaire in Sept. She just started a new thread today. I can promice you that you can't go wrong on that trip. With a bunch of divers off this board you will have a blast and an oppertunity to dive and learn from some great divers. If I am not careful I may just talk myself into going. :)

Welcome to the site, and to diving! My wife and I are from Indiana, we're a little short on reefs and warm water too!
padi.com has travel sites/destinations/packages, etc. Or try www.allthevacations.com or even type scuba diving vacations in a search engine.
We went on a cruise after we were certified, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, great diving, great cruise, check that route!

If you do Bonaire, just brush up on your navigation. It's pretty easy. Just pick out an unusual landmark, piece of coral, sponge or whatever and note the depth. Turn around and look at it a couple of times as you swim away. It may look different on your return from the other direction.

We want to take a vacation as well, and everyone's ideas seem so lovely compared to the current driven, cold waters of the PNW where we live. So I told hubby to write down places he'd like to go and I'd write down mine then we would compare notes. Thanks to y'all I have a huge list of warm, tropical places with pretty fishies and drinks with fruit and umbrellas sticking out of coconuts. (yeah I know cliche', but I can dream can't I)

Apparently my hubby has residual narcosis as for our first vacation dive he wants to go to Scapa Flow to look at relics. So we will be dragging our dry suits, weezles, and gear across the planet to dive in cold water. :) I wonder if I can get a diving sparkley out of this one, ah the things we do for love.

Well being in Florida, and having done hundreds of Dives here... I always have to suggest it, but I also second Al Mialkovsky's post about Anthony's Key in Roatan. If you are looking to travel and do a dedicated dive trip... AKR is a great place. (I'll be back with a small group from our store in May)

Hey Al Mialkovsky... Did I meet you at AKR between the 19th & 26th? :huh: Probably during meals... Can't miss me... the short 5' guy from Florida!

See Ya :D

Another option that I have yet to see anyone bring up is to take a cruise. My family and I did that soon after getting our certs, and visited the Grand Caymen, Costa Maya, Cozumel, and Belize. I personally know the diving is great at GC, Cozumel, and Belize, and would assume if you wanted to dive Costa Maya, there would be something that would be fun to dive. The cruise is all inclusive, and gives you lots to do and lots to dive. It also gives you a chance to visit several dive sites instead of one, and if you book in the offseason you can get a great rate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom