New diver, equip ??s, etc.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gomi_otaku

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the process of getting my certification, just have to do my open water dives. here in MN, that means waiting a couple months, so i've got plenty of time to research equipment. Right now I'm just looking to get the basics, and mostly I'm working on boots and fins.
I was told that while split fins are the current trend, and they are fine in landlocked waters, they are not the best choice for ocean diving due to not being able to really push when you need to, say in strong currents. If that's true, why are they so popular, when most people do the majority of diving in tropical locations, especially for all the tests, like Rodale magazine, etc.? I am going to be moving to the west coast in August, so I'll be moving from cold water lakes to cold salt water.
I tried on a few including Atomic Aquatics and the Avanti Quattros, I also tried the Tusa Tri-Ex but not the Xpert Zoom. In most of the fins, with 6mm boots, I wore a large, with the Tusas the foot pocket was wide and a medium fit better. Is this typical? It's hard trying on equipment because not all dealers carry both the boots and the fins i want to try on, and it's hard to compare brands when you are trying them on at separate dealers, with different dive boots each time.
Any help is appreciated
gomi_

gomi_otaku:
I am in the process of getting my certification, just have to do my open water dives. here in MN, that means waiting a couple months, so i've got plenty of time to research equipment. Right now I'm just looking to get the basics, and mostly I'm working on boots and fins.
Any help is appreciated
gomi_

I am relatively new also...my LDS has been the best resource for me. I think the best thing to shop for is a reputable, trustworthy LDS and follow their lead...for equipment, training and service and dive functions.

Good luck!

Hello Gomi,
welcome (Scub)aBoard! :balloon
Laurens

M&P+4:
I am relatively new also...my LDS has been the best resource for me. I think the best thing to shop for is a reputable, trustworthy LDS and follow their lead...for equipment, training and service and dive functions.

Good luck!
Couldn't agree more - but empahsis on the word reputable. One indication is how much training they do and how long they've been in business.

:azvatar: Hello there gomi_otaku, my name is Matt and I wanted to welcome you to the community. I think it’s the best board on the internet for divers. The people on here make it a really friendly place. It’s a great place to see what’s going on with divers. Just wanted to make you feel welcome! If you’d like to chat, please PM me.
Take care and Safe Diving.

Click here to greet a new member!
:happywave
No experience needed and it feels great!

Welcome to ScubaBoard :D

Hi Gomi, welcome to scubaboard!!

Fins are to divers what experts are to lawyers....the one that fits you best is the one you buy. I am biased to paddle fins (SP JetFins) because personally, splits do not work for me. I have a preference for some resitance to my kick, so I feel its effectivenes. I will suggest, however, that since you're going to be diving in colder water, thus you'll need open heel fins, purchase your booties first, then take them with you to try out fins. The one that fits the best, feels the best, and falls within your budget, will be the one you'll buy. Try as many fins as you can, and don't look at only scubadiving reviews to assist in your decision. In the end, it depends on you.

I have the quattros. Super Fin!!
The fins I would say you pay for what you get. Not many other things can be said. I must say though like shoes, all large fins don't fit alike. Take the time (which you are) and find a pair that fit properly. Some one up the lane said buy the boot first, which is true. Then drag those booties with you to the next couple of shops and go for fins. You've probably already noticed that booties can play a big role in what size you can try on as well. Go for fit first, then enginering. You might find the fin you really want just doesn't fit.

By the way welcome to the Boards!! Enjoy your time down under.... glub, glub

the quattros are very popular, as are the old favorites jet fins. Boots are easier, get ones warm enough that fit. if you know any divers that might let you use their fins in a pool before your cert dives. What fins work for one diver might not work for another, everyone kicks a little different and finds one fin better than another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom