New dive sites.........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair warning, Hollister may not be right. I know Hammerly is. I graduated from Spring Woods HS and I knew some of the fire fighters at station 5 two blocks from the lake. Thanks for the info on the Reef.

Tom

Iguana Don and Mike,

Clear sounds good, but how "cold" is cold? And what kinda "exposure" suits do you guys use. I mean, I don't mind bein' exposed, I just wanna know how exposed.

I have never dived a quarry, fresh water, or water colder than 73 degs. But you guys make it sound like fun... So, I am intreguied.....

Joe

Joe,

If you remember my dive reports, it's possible to see temps in the 60's both at the bottom of the lakes and at the Terrell Quarry.

When I dive these sites, I've been okay in my 3 mil with my 2mil hooded vest and gloves.

As far as how cold is "cold"...well, that's subjective. I like heading to the "deep" end at the lakes, so I expect and plan for the cold. One of the reasons is that the vis below the thermocline is usually a bit better. As an example, the PK dive this past weekend, betwwn 10 and 30 feet, the vis was pretty terrible, only about 8 feet. But when you dropped below 45 feet, the coldness kept much of the vis limiting stuff above the thermocline and you could see 12 to 15 feet. But the trade off was a 10-15 degree difference in water temp.

While there isn't that much fish life in the colder depths, I have as much fun checking out the different bottom contours, ledges, and overhangs.

Tom, Hollister is correct. I did look it up and there is an apartment complex named Spring Lake on Hollister. The leasing office is located on Hammerly. The complex does talk about their lake in which folks can swim, wind-sail, and fish. Nothing about diving, though. :)

ID,

That sounds like fun. My folks live just outside of Madill, and I go up to that area often. I don't know, Mike, if Don's buddy turns it into a scuba park, we'll start having to pay $25 bucks to get in. Just let your buddy keep grazing cattle up there (if that's what he's doing with the land). :)

By the way, I don't think I can make Athens on Saturday. I might be interested in Arbuckle diving on Sunday, or just whenever it's cool with Don. Also, Don, I've been wondering about the Little Glasses Lake area. I've heard there's trout fishing around there, and down South, trout fishing means spring-fed water. Any prospects for diving around there? (That's right by my folks' place.)

Hmmphhhh...................

Joewr

Joe...

And you can tell the water is really cold when the males in the dive group exit with TWO belly buttons.

TejasMiguelito,

I can only dream what the females must look like...(Geez, I cannot believe that I am going to post this! Iguana Don, Patron Saint of the Swamps, why didn't you save me from myself?)...

Joewr

I was talking with my dad and it's not Little Glasses that has the trout fishing, it's the Blue river up around Tishomingo, which is near there, that has the trout. He says the Blue river is a pretty river with clear water, but it's only about waist deep. Sounds like more of a snorkelling trip...Oh well. I might have to try it sometime though, and let you know what I find. He also told me about some springs near the Arbuckle area (near Turner Falls). He said they were sulfer springs and that it's clear water but that it smells kind of like rotten eggs standing by the springs and that the water has sort of a salty taste to it. Apparently there's a town over there somewhere where you can swim and stuff and I guess they have a fountain where you can drink the water from. They took my nephew there while he was visiting them but he wouldn't taste the water because of the smell. My folks said it doesn't taste bad, just sort of salty. I'm wondering if you were immersed in the water, maybe the odor wouldn't be a problem(damn, I sound pretty hard up for a new dive site don't I?). They said the place with the fountain can be crowded. Don, do you know anything about that area?

Let us know what ya find when you check out the quarries - like how cold they actually are.

I wonder how much they lost just leaving the equipment to drown. I bet they were pissed!!

BTW I heard you used to have a Cochran computer. What was your impression. I never really thought about them until the threads on TexasMike's post came up. Now I'm curious.

Later

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom