New Dive Light Considerations: Opinions needed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the better LFM light is the Back Up XML. I have one, and it rocks. With the mini body, its nice and small. 6degree beam (instead of 16) It far exceeds the Sola when its it in spot mode, and has swappable batteries. Cheaper than the Sola's too! Get an OxyCheck light glove and your are golden.

I had considered that one, but the beam is very tight. The poster was talking about ocean night dives and video and my thought was that you might want a bit wider beam. To me 16 degrees (3XPG) seemed to fall between a tight focused beam and wide angle. However I agree in low vis situations the 6 degree beam is golden.

I had considered that one, but the beam is very tight. The poster was talking about ocean night dives and video and my thought was that you might want a bit wider beam. To me 16 degrees (3XPG) seemed to fall between a tight focused beam and wide angle. However I agree in low vis situations the 6 degree beam is golden.

I just ordered the xml. I do mostly ocean dives but no video. I wanted something that i could use during the day for signaling and night dives. You're right though the beam could be too tight for clear night dives. We'll see in about a week.

You'll like it, I also have the backup narrow (2d beam) I use for signaling in low viz conditions.

Did you order the mini body? Thats the way to go.

You'll like it, I also have the backup narrow (2d beam) I use for signaling in low viz conditions.

Did you order the mini body? Thats the way to go.

Yup. Got the mini body. I'll be testing it out in a week in Cozumel. Was also looking at the 2d beam but probably worthless on tropical night dives as primary.

I came across this the other day and am considering it. Impressive stats.
Light-For-Me 3 XPG Rec - powerful 1000 lumen back up light, Dive Torch Light

it has a 16degree beam which would not be ideal if vis was not so good, I think their XML 800 lumens at 5 degrees would possibly be a better option depending on your diving conditions. They are about to come out with a 1600 lumen handheld could be good. Cheers

Note: sorry late to the party just noticed this has been previously mentioned, I should really read whole thread before posting lol....

Yup. Got the mini body. I'll be testing it out in a week in Cozumel. Was also looking at the 2d beam but probably worthless on tropical night dives as primary.

I also have the 2d backup narrow, but its my "oh crap, viz just went to zero" backup light...

Back
Top Bottom