Question New Dive Computer Suunto or?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MattAO

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have been using older Suunto Cobra for myself and my daughter for a while. Hers recently crapped out the depth sensor. I got her a replacement but just 2 days ago mine did the same. It showed me at 452 feet while still on land.

I want to get a replacement in kind. Console - simple - air integrated. I wouldn't mind another cobra if this isn't a constant problem for the newer versions. Is there a year this changed?

I am going to buy a used unit for cost reasons.

Any Recommendations that are not Shearwater?

Perhaps look at the Oceanic Pro Plus 3 or Pro Plus 4. Two algorithms, DSAT liberal and PZ+ middle of the road. My family is still diving a couple of Pro Plus 2s

So I have been using older Suunto Cobra for myself and my daughter for a while. Hers recently crapped out the depth sensor. I got her a replacement but just 2 days ago mine did the same. It showed me at 452 feet while still on land.

I want to get a replacement in kind. Console - simple - air integrated. I wouldn't mind another cobra if this isn't a constant problem for the newer versions. Is there a year this changed?

I contacted suunto support and even though the class action is over they covered and replaced mine with a new one (cobra3). If you still have them it may be worth contacting support and sending them in.

One thing that I will add, if you were diving original Cobras, and upgrade to a Cobra II or Cobra III, be prepared for a significant change in the algorithms used in the newer versions.

I went from an original to a III, and on my second dive with it, wasn't paying attention, and ended up with 15 minutes of hang time (which created an unpleasant situation on the dive boat once we surfaced).

I currently dive an Oceanic Pro Plus 2.

I contacted suunto support and even though the class action is over they covered and replaced mine with a new one (cobra3). If you still have them it may be worth contacting support and sending them in.

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought these used so not sure if they will do anything. Doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks for the recommendation. I bought these used so not sure if they will do anything. Doesn't hurt to ask.
In my case, I was up front about not having any paperwork. They looked at the serial number and the issue and determined it qualified. I simply expected to buy a new one (myself and my boys all have the same computer, it does what I need it to, figured I'd just get another one). And was hoping for some credit towards a new one - but they replaced it, no issues. So If they don't fix/replace it, it may cost you $25 bucks for repair review. But I was very confident it was the depth sensor so took a chance. The communication was not always great and I had to clarify/re-ask a few things a few times, but end result was worth it. I emailed with support quite a bit before sending it in to be sure I was not just throwing it away. :)

In my case, I was up front about not having any paperwork. They looked at the serial number and the issue and determined it qualified. I simply expected to buy a new one (myself and my boys all have the same computer, it does what I need it to, figured I'd just get another one). And was hoping for some credit towards a new one - but they replaced it, no issues. So If they don't fix/replace it, it may cost you $25 bucks for repair review. But I was very confident it was the depth sensor so took a chance. The communication was not always great and I had to clarify/re-ask a few things a few times, but end result was worth it. I emailed with support quite a bit before sending it in to be sure I was not just throwing it away. :)

Thanks!
Yea im certain both are depth sensors.
If they can't fix it i'm losing nothing really.

If they replace it like they did for you I will be light years ahead.

Back
Top Bottom