new dive assist board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I will start production on this dive assist board around the end of May. It will be manufactured in Rancho Cordova (near Sacramento). The material will be polyethylene and it will be rotomolded at .125 - .175 thickness. Measurements - 39.4" long, 22.6" wide and 7.5" deep. It will have roughly 90 lbs of buoyancy. It will have a multitude of straps for carrying it like a backpack or briefcase, for securing the cargo opening and for securing the speargun. I designed it for abalone diving/spearfishing. I believe it has more universal usefulness. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Attachments

• dive board plug.jpg
    dive board plug.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 482
  • image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 416
Last edited:
any update on this item? Price? My husband is learning to spearfish and this is PERFECT for him. Christmas?

any update on this item? Price? My husband is learning to spearfish and this is PERFECT for him. Christmas?

Hi Divemom - here is the update: Almost 100% done! Like many jobs, the final details just seemed to drag. The end effect of all my paralysis of analysis will be a significant benefit to the people using these boards. I am adding a dry storage -

Screw-Out Deck Plate by Beckson

and several tie down points for various purposes....

http://www.sea-dog.com/PDF/081310.pdf

The harness system will be high quality materials - impregnated nylon webbing with stainless.

Also a floatline attachment located 1/3 back from front on bottom.

It will be sold in most of Northern California's dive shops. I will build a website. Colors can be chosen along with the various features. I believe price will start at 200 dollars retail.

Here are a few of the most recent photos of the first test parts.

diveboard022.jpg

diveboard015.jpg

diveboard007.jpg

diveboard011.jpg

diveflagsupport2.jpg

diveflagsupport3.jpg

photoinpool.jpg

db9.jpg

tool1pic.jpg

How would somebody use this thing? I don't get it, but then again, I'm not a spearfisher.

Well, let's see. The photos show it with a gun, securely held in place. The photos show it being worn like a backpack. They show it with fins strapped to the top. They show a compartment where items can be stored. It floats. It has a similar shape to a boogie board. On the north coast lots of divers use floats. They put abalone, scallops and fish in them or on them Many use modified boogie boards but the problem with those is that they dont have the ability to hold everything without looking like a big contraption. The round floats don't move good and don't store a gun. Do you really need to have this spelled out?

Wow.. it looks AWESOME! I'm not sure I could juggle $200.00 as a fishing companion for hubby. He would LOVE it to death though.

When/Where will they be avaliable?

the cast aluminum molds are getting textured and receiving their final touches. I will be adding inserts galore. These will allow the owner to attach hardware easily. At this point there will potentially be 42 inserts in each part. Inserts are basically stainless steel nuts that have a back draft and are molded in during the rotomold process. I will utilize the same band and cord material that is used on spearguns as a means of fastening guns to the side and inside.

The webbing will be a very fancy but excellent "biothane".....
genuine biothane made by bioplastics

The harness will be easily attached and detached from the outside/bottom - this will make it easy.

finaldetails002.jpg

finaldetails008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom