New compressor buyer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info Jim. Doc, I appreciate your comments as well, as I want to make sure I have a true understanding of the expense involved. Like tons of people have said, I'm more interested in a compressor for convenience and not for any sort of money saving on fills. I live in a town that used to have 4 dives shops, and I've watched them one by one close shop, and leave me with anywhere from a 30 minute to an hour drive just to get a simple air fill.

Jim, what sort of ball park price would you charge for one of those 4 CFM units, with a pressure switch and auto drains, so I could use it to maintain a small cascade?

Thanks,
Jim

...I'm more interested in a compressor for convenience and not for any sort of money saving on fills. I live in a town that used to have 4 dives shops, and I've watched them one by one close shop, and leave me with anywhere from a 30 minute to an hour drive just to get a simple air fill....

I have a similar situation, except I had to drive 8 hours to get a Nitrox fill, or to fill my doubles, or to get my cylinders inspected. (2 hours to the dive shop, drop of the cylinders, two hours home. A week later another 4 hours of driving to retrieve my cylinders.)

So I got a compressor and it has taken a life of its own.

Jimmer,
I would like to talk to you about your usage and options which can add expense to the system with out gaining any real advantage except you could walk away from the system and let it shut off automatically. What is the max pressure you want in the storage tanks, 3600 or 4500PSI
Basic compressor with auto drain on manual shut off is $2600. If you add a pressure switch, a magnetic starter is required and the cost goes up by almost $475. If you have 2 storage cylinders (360 cu ft each) you will be running the compressor after they are full the first time for 1-2 hours to top them off. This compressor will fill 3 -80's in one hour and I would bet you don't every use all the air in a tank, so if you replace the air in the storage tanks (240 cu ft of air/ hour) you could fill nine tanks while running the compressor for 1.5 hours. With the system I have you would need to shut off the compressor for 15 seconds after 1 hour to drain the moisture and then turn it immediately back on. I don't think that is inconvenient enough to warrent an extra $475. I suppose you are busy enough that spending 1-2 with your dive equipment is too time consuming and you want to spend additional $$ (Joke). When I was diving a lot, I spent way to many hours in the shop puttering around and getting gear ready than was ever REQUIRED.
Give me your phone # and tell me when would be convenient time to call you
Jim Shelden
316-992-0505

I decided on a compressor from Jim Shelden. I spoke to Jim and his wealth of knowledge and business acumen was enough for me. I have been in business for 35 years and I felt very comfortable with Jim's professionalism. I have researched a number of systems and determined his 4.2CFM Kidde compressor meets my needs. I am also building a nitrox stick to incorporate into my system.

I decided to purchase a Kidde compressor from Sheldin Sporting Godds. Jim Shelden knows his product and is extremely helpful on anything related to diving. He is building it this week and I should receive it next to be reday for my first fill. Hooray!

A compressor can be as expensive as you want. Is air fills the only thing you want or do you plan on mixing nitrox or tri mix. Do you want to bank or fill directly off the compressor.
I have been using the same compressor with a couple of rebuilds I did myself for 42 years. It was originally electric but I converted it to gas 25 years ago for portability. I direct fill air only. It is definately the best piece of diving equipment I ever bought.

JBscuba-

You've had your compressor for a couple of months now. Care to give us an update on how things are working? Seriously considering a Kidde from Jim as well.

Check on The Deco Stop - Powered by vBulletin for a wealth of knowledge on compressors. If you would consider a rebuilt compressor, give Ed at Blue Grotto a call. (Cell 352-207-4001) Not only do they have a huge following, he is an overflow service center for Bauer.

Blue rebuilds quite a few brands and when they send one to you, you would think it just came off of the factory line and he gives you are 1 yr warranty.

Been very happy w/ the Bauer Mariner I bought from him in the beginning of '08...... about half the price of a new one.

He also sells some of his compressors on Ebay. Give him a call if you have questions.

JBscuba-

You've had your compressor for a couple of months now. Care to give us an update on how things are working? Seriously considering a Kidde from Jim as well.

I have to say working with Jim has been one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. He is extremely helpful especially when you are sting it up.
I emailed Jim a number of times before I did my purchase as well as for general knowledge.

It reminded me of the old days when something made in USA meant the best.

I have my compressor working fine and it fills 80cf tanks in 19-21 minutes. I have also filled doubles and to my recollection they took less than 45. I do not have my log in front of me.

Jim shipped the system to me in a small crate and it came on time and in perfect condition. I highly recommend Jim Sheldon.

I have to say working with Jim has been one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. He is extremely helpful especially when you are sting it up.
I emailed Jim a number of times before I did my purchase as well as for general knowledge.

It reminded me of the old days when something made in USA meant the best.

I have my compressor working fine and it fills 80cf tanks in 19-21 minutes. I have also filled doubles and to my recollection they took less than 45. I do not have my log in front of me.

Jim shipped the system to me in a small crate and it came on time and in perfect condition. I highly recommend Jim Sheldon.

Ditto here. I purchased the same W-K 4.2cfm from Jim in 2010, and has been working perfectly. Have used it to continuous blend 32% and working on modifying stick to make trimix. Added an hour-meter, and a priority-valve after the filter -- it came with one between separator and filter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom