New Cayman highway to East

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting. Its an island and its a shame. Too much of a good thing is well . . . a bad thing. More highways and development in exchange for destruction of natural habitat and wild space is the last thing the island needs. It already feels too crowded and too developed.

The overdevelopment on GC is the reason that my trips to the CaymanIslands are now either to Brac or LC. I hope it takes a while before these beautiful, quiet, peaceful places are ruined as well.

I have mixed feelings about this. On the one side, I will mourn the loss of mangroves, agricultural land and other natural habitats, but on the other side, it's economically probably good for the island. Economic growth is something that every nation seeks, and this will definitely bring it. The fact that visitors want it to stay the same way it was 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago just isn't sustainable for a developed country like the Cayman Islands.

But they talk about easing traffic snarl-ups and I just don't see it - the snarl-ups are closer in to George Town, around the airport and ALThompson - nothing they are doing will help that.

The fact that visitors want it to stay the same way it was 5, 10, 20, 30 years ago just isn't sustainable for a developed country like the Cayman Islands.
But if they continue to destroy what is left, the visitors will eventually stop coming - especially divers.

And you have to define economic growth. Simply building more roads to enable more houses is not necessarily economic growth.

But if they continue to destroy what is left, the visitors will eventually stop coming - especially divers.
And they have to weigh that up against the non-tourist sector growth, for sure. Like Health care tourism, the financial sector and so on.

They said that with the cruise ships coming to Cozumel
Island is more crowded now than ever

I suppose it's possible that it could relieve some of the congestion around Georgetown. Right now pretty much everything is on the west side of the island; if you open up the East End it might draw some development away from Georgetown and the airport area. Not sure if that's worth the environmental cost or the drastic change to the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom