New Carbon 42 - Sweet Weight / Look... Significant "flutter"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BrettA

New
Reaction score
51 03 27, -114 9 25 : Calgary, AB Canada (Wildwood
# of dives
50 - 99
I just tried my new Mares Carbon 42 yesterday and to my surprise there was a significant and quite annoying "flutter" as I took my first breaths poolside (open water's relatively hard to come by on the prairies). While it was fine down even a foot, on the surface and once I got out again, the flutter remained.

The dealer says that this is typical with Mares when it's not under pressure, but as it's my first, I'd like a second opinion, please (I've never had a reg do this before, but that could be relative inexperience, especially with Mares of course).

I could see this being an issue for me in really, really choppy water if I wanted a break from a snorkel and frankly, it just doesn't seem right... so, is this "normal", please? TIA. I leave for Hawaii and the South Pacific next Wednesday, so I hope to better understand whether this is something I just live with or whether it's serviceable to reduce or eliminate it (and if the latter, get it fixed ideally before I leave).

I just tried my new Mares Carbon 42 yesterday and to my surprise there was a significant and quite annoying "flutter" as I took my first breaths poolside (open water's relatively hard to come by on the prairies). While it was fine down even a foot, on the surface and once I got out again, the flutter remained.

The dealer says that this is typical with Mares when it's not under pressure, but as it's my first, I'd like a second opinion, please (I've never had a reg do this before, but that could be relative inexperience, especially with Mares of course).

I could see this being an issue for me in really, really choppy water if I wanted a break from a snorkel and frankly, it just doesn't seem right... so, is this "normal", please? TIA. I leave for Hawaii and the South Pacific next Wednesday, so I hope to better understand whether this is something I just live with or whether it's serviceable to reduce or eliminate it (and if the latter, get it fixed ideally before I leave).

That "fluttering" that you describe is fairly common for many regs while at the surface, and just below.

Greg Barlow

Hi Brett, sorry for the delay, a hectic week at the office, not much time for Scuba Board. I have to agree with Greg. This is a common occurrence with many regulators regardless of manufacturer. Some tinkering can be done to try and minimize this, however probably not worth it. At the end of the day most of your reg breathing will be done underwater where this is not noticeable. Plus you have yourself a sweeeeet new Carbon regulator. Thanks for your Canadian support.

Best!

i have had the carbon regs for about a year yes they flutter out of the water. not an issue they dive great enjoy

The reason why so many modern regs create the "fluttering" sound at the surface is that the exhaust valve is made of very pliable silicone. As you exhale, the valve bends from the excessive pressure (greater than surrounding ambient), and literally "flutters" in an irregular pattern. When you submerge and begin breathing from the reg, the surrounding water dampens the valve's motion.

Again, nothing to worry about.

Greg Barlow

As others have stated there a several reg's from other manufactures that will do this when on the Surface is doe not affect performance but can be annoying at first. I owned Scubapro set and did not do this neither set. BUt I purchased an Atomic M1 set and one will do it other does not. I contwacted my LDS said it was normal I still thought other wise so i called the factory and they stated some will do it. It no longer bothers me and Don't notice too often

Hi BrettA:

Are you referring to a fluttering noise as you exhale? If yes, then that is completely normal. I've used a number of Mares regulators and most exhibated this symptom. Now if you are referring to a fluttering sensation that you feel through the hose as you inhale. I would think this be a different story. My Mares Proton LE regulator did this, and is starting to do so again. A high pressure seat was replaced several months ago. I haven't had it rechecked since I have another regulator.

Claude

P.S. If you pass near New Caledonia in the Coral Sea, have a Number One, the local beer that taste a lot like Heineken.

Hi Brett, sorry for the delay, a hectic week at the office, not much time for Scuba Board. I have to agree with Greg. This is a common occurrence with many regulators regardless of manufacturer. Some tinkering can be done to try and minimize this, however probably not worth it. At the end of the day most of your reg breathing will be done underwater where this is not noticeable. Plus you have yourself a sweeeeet new Carbon regulator. Thanks for your Canadian support.

Best!
I've been meaning to write an update but haven't had the time. As it happens, ClaudeHL pointed to something and no Claude - it was not exhalation but inhalation (or primarily inhaling since that's what bugged me, as it was quite severe).

Before leaving Calgary, I had taken the reg to the retailer and their guy did something that removed all traces of flutter, but I wanted to try it in open water before I wrote this. I did my 4 open water referral dives about 12 days ago just west of Honolulu and I gotta say that it's just great... :) :) :) - easy breathing, no flutter in or out of water, light... whatever! So everything's fine from my perspective... but since it was fixable (and fixed!), I'll just mention that most posts here seemed to miss the mark (partly my fault perhaps, since I didn't think to specify inhale or exhale... though I thought I implied inhaling with "as I took my first breaths").

If anyone's interested, I *could* ask the dive shop what the issue was and what fixed it... And thanks all! I hadn't planned on New Caledonia, but hope to pick up tips like that as I go since I've not once dove the Pacific 'til now - I'm flexible and I'll be leaving Hawaii around month-end for Tahiti and not getting to Oz until about October 1 (so New Caledonia sounds easily doable - would you recommend it for the diving or just the beer, Claude ;-).

Cheers, Brett (from The Coffee Gallery on Oahu's North Shore).

i think what got us was the "pool side" as the out of water flutter is pretty common. i haven't had your issue but would like to know the fix in case it happens. you will love the regs.

Back
Top Bottom