New camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just purchased a new camera.A sealife DC330 with strobe.Went on first dive with it and need some ideas as to attaching it to me without it getting tangled in my gear(I now realize I need to add a weight to it to make it neg.buoyant) and also any tips for pics/macro taking.I had the wrong setting for distance so the plumose anenomes turned out but not the octopus under the rocks. Also for flash/strobe settings.Thanks for any ideas.

I bought the sealife camera dc 250 with that strobe and having the weight inside works so well. Also after going on a liveaboard I got the moisture munchers to prevent fogging so much. The dude at Hollywoodivers shop helped me rig up a brass dog clip thing and now I can snap it on and off my BC no problem....I had a retractor wire on it before but didn't like that as much. Try the brass clip. You can call there they will help you and it's cheap 818 990 2279 is their number.

(Snip)
Les:
I just purchased a new camera.A sealife DC330 with strobe.

What is a Sealife DC330????

They make a DC300, 310, 310 pro but not a DC330.
Just curious and suffering from insomnia :)

Les:
I just purchased a new camera.A sealife DC330 with strobe.Went on first dive with it and need some ideas as to attaching it to me without it getting tangled in my gear(I now realize I need to add a weight to it to make it neg.buoyant) and also any tips for pics/macro taking.I had the wrong setting for distance so the plumose anenomes turned out but not the octopus under the rocks. Also for flash/strobe settings.Thanks for any ideas.

I'm not so experienced generally but for the tether question, I use a coil clip thing that has a cord on one end (that I can attach to the housing) and brass clip on the other (that I can clip to BC ring), and that can be used open or clipped more securely. It cost about $20 or so. (the little tag says " innovative scuba.") Although I find I'm holding onto my camera pretty well and usually not using the tether, should you need both hands for something else it can be handy.

gfac

Les:

Les, any idea how positively buoyant they are? I've got a new reefmaster RC with the external strobe. I'm trying to think of creative ideas on how to add weight to it. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, gt2003

gt2003:
Les, any idea how positively buoyant they are? I've got a new reefmaster RC with the external strobe. I'm trying to think of creative ideas on how to add weight to it. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, gt2003

I have a DC250 with the strobe. I purchased the weight which goes into the strobe (Sealife makes them, Diver's Direct stocks them)-- which helps alot. However, it is still a little positive, but not "float over your head" positive.

As for attaching the camera to me, I use a snap coil which is perfect. Keeps it close and you still have use of your hands if needed or desired.

db

Wow, I checked the prices of the weights, 20 bucks for a piece of metal. JEEZUM CROW!!! I found some small (2inch by 3inch) ziplocs that I plan on filling with either lead shot or bb's and placing in my strobe. Has anyone tried anything like this? Thought it would be a lot cheaper and probably work just as well. Thanks, gt2003

gt2003:
Wow, I checked the prices of the weights, 20 bucks for a piece of metal. JEEZUM CROW!!! I found some small (2inch by 3inch) ziplocs that I plan on filling with either lead shot or bb's and placing in my strobe. Has anyone tried anything like this? Thought it would be a lot cheaper and probably work just as well. Thanks, gt2003

Instead of a ziplock, why not use a 1 lb. soft weight? It can be molded to fit wherever you want to put it and attached with tie wraps. If it's too heavy, a small snip in the covering to remove some pellets for a custom weight, seal the snip with Aquaseal...would be very easy to do.

I'm afraid the ziplock won't be sturdy enough.

Yeah, thats not a bad idea either. I was actually planning on filling the ziplocs with lead shot, sealing them and reinforcing the entire bag with duct tape or masking tape. A one pound soft weight is a great idea. I'll experiment with the ziplocs tonight and see if they are sturdy enough. I'm thinking they probably will work ok since they literally will fit inside of the strobe and won't be getting wet. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know if the ziplocs work. Thanks again, gt2003

Nope for the ziplocs. They are just too bulky once you get any amount of weight in them. It looks like they are not letting the back cover seal well and I don't want to compromise the seal and flood my flash. I guess another idea would be to get an ankle weight for diving and attach it to the camera somehow. I suppose I'll just buy "the weight" and be happy with it. I'd rather spend the money than compromise the flash. Anyone have any other ideas? Thanks, gt2003

Back
Top Bottom