new camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bugz

Reaction score
Howdy,
Have taken at least 1000 shots with Sealife but recently bought a Nikonos V w/20, 35 & 80mm lenses, extension tubes, close-up kit and Ikelite Ai substrobe. Have read manual, Southern Nikonos' maintainance & service postings and bought Jim & Kathy Churches
book. Manual recommends 400 while Church says 100 film. I'm also confused on the strobe operation in everything from shallow/bright sun to night dives (Starting out, I'll probably be using TTL and the Auto camera setting). I'd appreciate some brief scenarios on camera & strobe settings under various circumstances. Am leaving for Roatan (3rd trip) in 3 weeks and plan to practice in a pool.
Thanx,
Bugz

The best speed of the film depends mostly on the type of UW photography you want to do:
- for macro photography a slow film (ISO 50 or less) is best. It provides a very sharp picture with vibrant colors.
- for close up and wide angle photography a medium film speed of ISO100 or 200 is best
- for fast action and low light conditions (deep diving, wreck diving) you can use ISO400.
I wouldn't use anything faster than ISO400 as the picture gets very grainy. ISO100 is the best all-purpose film.

The other things to watch for are:
- what film speeds your camera can be set for or automatically recognizes (DX)
- what film speeds your strobe's TTL will work with.
:snorkel:ScubaRon

Hi! Would like to know if I should set the ISO settings for film on digital camera? I just got my underwater housing but havent tried it yet

Thanks!

For macro I would recomend velvia 50 and strobe on TTL.
With the 20mm lens velvia 100, strobe on full power, meter the background for speed especially if you have nothing in the background but water ( I have found with the Nickonos you can go up as high as 125, set apt F8 and bracket + or - 1/2 stop. Focous 3ft - infin, but try to be no more than 3ft from your subject, use rule of thirds ie your main subject should cover at least two thirds of the picture. When photographing fish try to take the photo from slightly below the fish about two deg, at all costs avoid the downwards shots.
David

Nielc once bubbled...
Hi! Would like to know if I should set the ISO settings for film on digital camera? I just got my underwater housing but havent tried it yet

Thanks!

The ISO settings are the same. For UW, ISO 100 works very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom