New Camera Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Cid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So I'll start off by saying that I'm not going to be doing photography for any magazines soon, but I am starting to outgrow the digital pocket camera and u/w case. So far all of my shooting has been in an average of 60 ft depth and mostly 10 ft or so for larger fish, and within a foot for smaller fish/coral. There are exceptions, (Spiegel Grove was great, but I got cr@p for photos without a strobe) I've been thinking of getting a strobe setup but its also time to switch cameras so I'll do it all at once.

My first requirement is battery life. I have an old canon SD500 and have to swap batteries between every dive and on a weekend like this past weekend where there were 4 dives a day, I just don't like opening the case up that often. I'd rather put in a fresh battery in the morning and maybe have to swap out at lunchtime, but not after every dive. Every time I open the case, that is an opportunity for a poor seal.

Second requirement is that I get good enough photos out of it without spending so much that I won't be able to afford to dive. Thats pretty much it. Mostly I want to take a hundred pictures so that I get the three or four that turn out well and not risk sinking the camera inside the case. What suggestions do you guys have for a rookie like me when camera shopping? Thanks......

Canon A series and a strobe. I like Inon. Ikelite, Sea & Sea are good strobes, too.

Have a look-see through the sticky at the top of the main UW Photo area - if you haven't already - as there are many potentially suitable models there including links to photos and discussion on them. Should send you in the right direction as you begin narrowing your search.

You can follow the Pink Link in my signature to get there.

Let us know as you have question during your shopping adventure!

I have the Sea&Sea DX 8000G and am very happy with it. I use it with a Sea&Sea YS90 Auto strobe. It is an 8 meg pix camera and I have used it both in manual and automatic modes. Regarding battery life, I purchased a rechargeable liIon battery that allows the camera to take over 350 pics before recharging. I recently returned from a trip to Fiji and thought that I got some exceptionally nice photos. If you would like to see some of them email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net. It is easy to use and as I've stated takes great pics. One of the strengths is the very short shutter lag time. It is almost as quick as a DSLR so that I don't have to "lead" the fish I want to take a pic of.

Hope this helps,

Bill james

Nikon CoolPix P5000 or the new P5100/P50 coming out soon. Fantasea Line has some great cases for them.

Jack

alcina:
Canon A series and a strobe. I like Inon. Ikelite, Sea & Sea are good strobes, too.

Have a look-see through the sticky at the top of the main UW Photo area - if you haven't already - as there are many potentially suitable models there including links to photos and discussion on them. Should send you in the right direction as you begin narrowing your search.

You can follow the Pink Link in my signature to get there.

Let us know as you have question during your shopping adventure!

Agree. alcina was a big help to choose my camera, Canon A series. I can't be happier.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought an SD800 a couple of weeks ago but not the UW case for it since that is a "take to the party and shoot" camera. It could replace the SD500 pretty well but I'm looking to have the capability to get better pictures. The biggest problem I had with the SD500 was the battery life since I want to seal the case on dry land and then not touch it again. Granted it had been dropped and beaten up over its 4 year life. I'm ultimately after the happy medium camera setup. Something that will get strong pictures and will have the capability to accept accessories (wide-angle lenses and strobes), but won't dominate my dives or my wallet.

The smaller case on the SD meant I dove but happened to have a camera. I like having a camera to get pictures but want to ensure that thousands of dollars won't be required and that I can let go of the camera (on a teather, of course) and enjoy my dive. Like I said, I'm not going for the cover of Scuba magazine but want good stuff! Not that I'm asking much, but does anyone have a winning lottery ticket too?

Thanks for the insight so far and keep the suggestions coming. I'm a ***** for good (and bad) information!

El Cid:
Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought an SD800 a couple of weeks ago but not the UW case for it since that is a "take to the party and shoot" camera. It could replace the SD500 pretty well but I'm looking to have the capability to get better pictures. The biggest problem I had with the SD500 was the battery life since I want to seal the case on dry land and then not touch it again. Granted it had been dropped and beaten up over its 4 year life. I'm ultimately after the happy medium camera setup. Something that will get strong pictures and will have the capability to accept accessories (wide-angle lenses and strobes), but won't dominate my dives or my wallet.

The smaller case on the SD meant I dove but happened to have a camera. I like having a camera to get pictures but want to ensure that thousands of dollars won't be required and that I can let go of the camera (on a teather, of course) and enjoy my dive. Like I said, I'm not going for the cover of Scuba magazine but want good stuff! Not that I'm asking much, but does anyone have a winning lottery ticket too?

Thanks for the insight so far and keep the suggestions coming. I'm a ***** for good (and bad) information!

Oh~~` You chose SD series... I ended up with A series because I am sick and tired of a Ni-Cd battery. I lost many chances to take some good pictures due to the battery issue....

I just want to have P&S camera, nothing more than that... Otherwise, just simply go to the video option...:wink:

StevenB:
Take a look at the new Canon G9. Supposed to be available in October for $500.

SB

I have a G6 in an Ikelite housing w/ DS51 Strobe. Had the camera prior to getting into diving. Got the housing for 1/2 price because it was out of production. Otherwise that setup would run $1500-2000. It (G9) will probably be a good camera, though.

I would look at the new fuji F50.. with an Inon strobe..with the strobe being the costly item. Inon does a preflash that the camera can see, and the camera then turns down it's flash, using a lot less battery power. Even with a standard strobe, I get over 300 images with the standard battery on an old F series camera. The F50 is a 12M sensor, with macro down to around 3 inches. A canon would work, but it will not have better image quality and cost a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom