New camera or new strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jameseg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all -
I'm what you might call an entry-level underwater photographer. I have been using a cheapy Canon A510 in the Canon housing for the last three or four years. Have taken a few decent shots, but have always relied on auto setting. I'm going to be doing a Turks & Caicos liveaboard in about a month, and would like to upgrade my photo skills/equipment for that trip.

My first step should probably be to learn how to shoot in manual mode.

The next question is would I get more benefit from adding a strobe to my A510, or investing in a better camera? Having just spent major dollars on dive equipment for the wife and I, budget is limited to perhaps $500 or $600, which would appear to be enough for either a decent camera with housing, or a decent strobe, but not both.

Is the A510 (3 megapixel, but full manual mode) too crappy of a camera to justify a strobe at this point? Anyone know if it could take advantage of the DS-TTL capability of a strobe like the S & S YS-01?

Would appreciate any advice you guys have,
James

I was in a similar situation. I was using an ancient (circa 2002) 3MP Sony P&S DSC-P5 and definitely felt the lack of a strobe.
Recently I did a trip to the US where camera equipment is cheap compared to many other places so I decided to pick up a Canon G12 and basic Canon housing but delayed purchasing the strobe.
I just got back from a week in Cuba where I tried out the camera.
I tried it in various modes but as a precaution I shot in JPEG + RAW.
All I can say is WOW. Forget the JPEG. The results I got doing the White Balance adjustment of the RAW at home are just spectacular.
For most of my shots the external strobe would have been redundant.
I was also surprised at the quality of some of the close-up shots using the internal flash and the diffuser (Sony didn't have a diffuser). Much better than I expected.
Definitely upgrade the camera first then think about the strobe.

A strobe is as essential for underwater photography as are a camera and housing. Since you already have the latter, I suggest getting a strobe first. If at a later point you feel like your abilities outgrow your camera, then get a new camera.

Yes I agree with Arkstorm. A good strobe would be the best bet for now. You are familiar with you camera now so as you hone your skills with this set up you can down the road get a more advanced camera. You might want to look at a strobe that doubles as a strobe and a video light. That is something that would come in handy as you shoot video clips and for when you move on to a better camera.

Go for the strobe. Your current camera isn't terrible. Sure Raw helps (I just got a G12 too, and LOVE it), but I'd take just about any camera with a strobe over one without.

I'm sorry but if your using a 3 megapixel camera a strobe would be like putting socks on a hog. Even the crappiest P&S is 12 to 15 MP's. (Sorry, Rant over)

The chances of getting a good shot go up substancially when you bring the light down to your subject. If you consider the picture quality of what you can shoot on land with that camera sufficient then you should be able to get near to that quality underwater with good lighting(strobe/s).
However with a few excepts, underwater strobes tend to be expensive. A new strobe could easily cost you more than your camera and housing combined.

old_diver_camera_laptop2.png

Gotta jump in and disagree with some others here. Getting a strobe for that camera is like customizing a Yugo car.

Get a new camera that has modern technology and one with RAW capability.

You can't make a Mercedes out of a Yugo by adding brighter headlights :wink:

old_diver_camera_laptop2.png

Gotta jump in and disagree with some others here. Getting a strobe for that camera is like customizing a Yugo car.

Get a new camera that has modern technology and one with RAW capability.

You can't make a Mercedes out of a Yugo by adding brighter headlights :wink:

Ever see a Yugo with a Nitrous Oxide system? Try and keep up!

Back
Top Bottom